Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 7 Switches diameter

londint
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

Pls can anyone explain what is meant by the 7 Switches diameter recommended by Cisco?

I have about 2 core switches with 10 switches connected into each of them in an uplink. Then on one of the core Switch, I have a 1GB link to about 10 other switches in chain fashion.

Where do I get the 7 switches? I do not want to exceed but how to I count this diameter?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

If you have a core switch and connected to this switch are 10 switches so each switch has one connection to the core switch this is a diameter of 1.

It's not the number of switches it's how the are connected. So

core switch -> switch1 -> switch2 -> switch3.

If you have switches connected in the above fashion then your diameter is 3.

HTH

Jon

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

If you have a core switch and connected to this switch are 10 switches so each switch has one connection to the core switch this is a diameter of 1.

It's not the number of switches it's how the are connected. So

core switch -> switch1 -> switch2 -> switch3.

If you have switches connected in the above fashion then your diameter is 3.

HTH

Jon

Thank you very much. I understand it now perfectly. Thanks

balajitvk
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

The default timers of STP (Hello, Forwarding Delay and Max Age) are based on an assumption of the diameter of the network. i.e They have a default as 7 hops / switches.

But you can change the STP timers such that to accomdate more hops, but the same is not advisable.

Hope this will clear ur doubt.

Rate if it does,

Rgs.

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

With IEEE 802.1d,recommended consideration when designing the network with STP is not more than 7 hops. On the default timer parameters STP is expected to work fine till 7 hops. Beyond 7 hops the STP will work but it might bit a little hard to predict the behaviour of the STP, which might result in a lots of network problems. From an individual switch perspective like from the root bridge the STP diameter should not be more than 7 hops away.

As per your topology above, and posted by Jon you will not exceed this diameter,it actually depends on the rootbridge placement.Whenever you are configuring the rootbrige on your network, you have to make sure that the none of switch should be 7 hops away in connectivity. If you are following Cisco's 3-tier hierarchical design you will never be exceeding the STP diameter, hence you should not be worrying about it much.

HTH,Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card