Helpful
Replies

Creating Loopback interface on production routers

hashsham1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

I have two questions:

What are the repercussions of configuring loopback interfaces on routers running in full production with various routing protocol i.e. EIGRP & OSPF.

If there are, is there a way that we may avoid those issues and still be able to configure virutal interfaces on Cisco devices without impacting business.

Looking forward to your prompt respones.

Regards,

Hashsham

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

balajitvk
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Creating the loopback interface won't make any impact on the ongoing traffic..... It won't make any difference until you advertise in any of routing protocol.... Even advertising this, will provide way for other routers to reach this thro. that loopback ip.... Nothing much to do on the ongoing traffic until you make any wrong configuration.

Rgs.

View solution in original post

A well configured OSPF network, would have a router-id under the OSPF process to avoid this kind of issues.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

balajitvk
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Creating the loopback interface won't make any impact on the ongoing traffic..... It won't make any difference until you advertise in any of routing protocol.... Even advertising this, will provide way for other routers to reach this thro. that loopback ip.... Nothing much to do on the ongoing traffic until you make any wrong configuration.

Rgs.

Thank you very much for the response. However I have the following concern.

1- In case of OSPF, DR and selection of BDR is dependent on Loopback address. If a router comes to have a loopback that it never had, then IP addresses for loopback addresses will have to be carefully chosen to avoid any impact on the current set up.

Otherwise, there will be production issues...right?

Regards,

Hashsham

A well configured OSPF network, would have a router-id under the OSPF process to avoid this kind of issues.

I agree with Edison that configuring a router-id is the best possible way to implement and avoid such issues.

When a router comes online it always checks for an existing DR and BDR and only goes into an election mode if it doesn't find one. So creating a loopback interface would not disrupt the production traffic.

However if the ospf process restarts for some reason, all the checks are now applied taking the loopback interface into consideration

HTH

Narayan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card