cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Testing your backup ISDN network

mdcarey15
Level 1
Level 1

Wondering how everyone else tests their ISDN redundant network? Does anyone automate or schedule tests of your Redundant network to make sure all routes will route probably in case of a primary link failure? How often do you test? And can you do this without affecting your production network?

4 Replies 4

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Good question.

It think it can be split in two parts:

1. ISDN connectivity. A proper designed network will allow pings to bring up ISDN and then links will go down by inactivity. This should be simple to schedule via script. I would do this bi-weekly, for example, and can be done in normal working hours.

2. overall routing while in backup situations. if .1. succeeds, you may want test this as well. Probably the easiest way is to shutdown some strategically chosen interfaces and see if network reconverges. A script to do this and test results is much more complicated, but doable. for safety, I would do this like monthly, and outside working hours.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

fargier
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I test the isdn one time per month. Route was checking first time I make the configuration.

If the configuration don't change, don't sure it necessary to test the route.

But one time per month I check the isdn line with :

isdn test call interface bri 0/2/0 012345678910

where 012345678910 is the phone number of the remote site.

This test is in an unix script and i received a mail if it's working fine.

Testing the isdn with command isdn test don't affect production.

We test it once a week via automated script ( isdn test call and traceroute wherever applicable - as some old IOSes dont support the isdn test call command) and look for cdp and routing protocol neighbors to verify. If any of these fail, the script flags the test as failed.

Hello hdommath@ford.com,

Could you post a sample script that you use for making a test ISDN call, I need to create a script that will make an isdn call once per month and would really appreciate your assistance

Regards

DK

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco