cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can the CSS operate in bridged mode with multple subnets?

mmedwid
Level 3
Level 3

The white paper below notes that the CSS CAN operate in bridged mode but it is not recommended. Is it possible to load balance more than a single subnet while operating the CSS in bridged (single VLAN) mode? I would like to test how effective it is despite the warning. Thanks.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/contnetw/ps1894/products_white_paper09186a00801bd4ae.shtml

4 Replies 4

Gilles Dufour
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

you can bridge with multiple subnets.

But the CSS will route between the subnets when it can. The bridged interfaces are not independent.

Gilles.

How would you get the CSS to recognize and balance the multiple subnets on a single bridge/VLAN? Thanks for both your answers so far Gilles.

you can assign multiple ip from different subnets to a single circuit vlan.

You link the physical interfaces with the "vlan" command. Then assign ip addresses under the circuit-vlan.

The CSS will bridge traffic on physical interfaces belonging to a same vlan.

I hope this is what you need.

Thanks,

Gilles.

I thought I had tested that configuration to a no-go. But based on your feedback - I'm going to have another go at it. Maybe I missed something. Thank-you very much.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: