Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN Number on Cisco 3750

jakskal07
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Now i'm using 3750, with IOS c3750-advipservicesk9-mz.122-35.SE2.bin and c3750-i9-mz.122-20.SE4/c3750-i9-mz.122-20.SE4.bin. But i can't create VLAN number more than 1005.

Switch#vlan database

Switch(vlan)#vlan ?

<1-1005> ISL VLAN index

Your help is very appreciated. Thank you.

Reza

6 Replies 6

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

In vlan database mode, yes this is the constrain (Only normal-range (VLANs 1-1005) VLANs can be configured in this mode), to use more vlans (extended-range VLANs 1006-4094) you'll need to add them using global configuration.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

graemeporter
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Reza,

On the newer IOS switches, such as the 3750s, it's not recommended to use the VLAN database section to configure your VLANs; these should be configured in global config mode, and are created just by typing "vlan ".

e.g. :-

switch(config)#vlan ?

WORD ISL VLAN IDs 1-4094

access-map Create vlan access-map or enter vlan access-map command mode

dot1q dot1q parameters

filter Apply a VLAN Map

internal internal VLAN

You should be able to create up to 4094 VLANs in this mode.

Kind regards,

Graeme

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

Vlans greater than 1005 are extended vlans and you cannot configure them if the device is configuredas vtp server

Try changing your VTP mode to transparent and check again

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3550/software/release/12.1_13_ea1/configuration/guide/swvlan.html#wp1200242

HTH, rate if it does

Narayan

Hi Narayan,

Your comment about being a transparent switch is totally correct, but i think that even after the switch is converted into transparent you still need to configure extended vlans in global configuration mode and not in vlan database mode.

BR,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

You are absolutely right my friend

Under the vlan database mode, the maximum number available is 1005 :-)

Narayan

Thank you friends .. for your answer. But I can modify state of extended VLAN to "state active". So, when i type show vlan command, it didn't show vlan number more than 1005. Any clue for this ?

Thank you.

Reza

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: