cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RME 4.0.x enhancement opportunity: Config collection

yjdabear
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

A user made a running-config change on a switch yesterday morning, and performed "copy run start". RME 4.0.x duly noticed this and retrieved the running-config. However, if I understand correctly from wrestling with a similar concern in the LMS 2.2 days, there's no such detection mechanism for the startup config. So, the startup config was not due to be retrieved until the scheduled Periodic Collection, set in my environment at midnight. But since the users look at the Startup and Running Out-of-Sync Summary every 12 hours, the scenario described above inevitably would produce false reports that are not reflecting reality. A workaround that immediately comes to mind is to schedule the Periodic Collection more often than once daily, but alas, I find that's not possible with RME 4.0.x. So, is RME 4.1 in LMS 3.0 any more flexible in this regard? Also, IIRC, there was some rather unintuitive way that RME 3.x in LMS 2.2 could be manually prompted to retrieve either the startup or running configs (RME -> Admin -> Config Mgmt -> Update Archive -> click on the blue 'Startup' or 'Running' link), is this still possible in RME 4.x, with RME -> Config Mgmt -> Sync Arhcive -> making sure "Fetch startup config" is checked?

5 Replies 5

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

RME 4.0 will periodically poll for both startup and running config changes using the CISCO-CONFIG-MAN-MIB (ccmHistoryRunningLastChanged and ccmHistoryStartupLastChanged). So even if only the startup config changed, RME will archive that.

However, when a syslog message is sent, only the running config will be fetched. RME 4.1 behaves the same way.

Yes, you can sync all configs by checking the "Fetch startup config" box in a sync archive job.

Is the polling interval for the CISCO-CONFIG-MAN-MIB configurable in RME 4.0.x? The current values on the switch in question are:

ccmHistoryRunningLastChanged

cisco.ciscoMgmt.ciscoConfigManMIB.ciscoConfigManMIBObjects.ccmHistory.ccmHistoryRunningLastChanged.0 : Timeticks: (1462269420) 169 days, 5:51:34.20

ccmHistoryStartupLastChanged

cisco.ciscoMgmt.ciscoConfigManMIB.ciscoConfigManMIBObjects.ccmHistory.ccmHistoryStartupLastChanged.0 : Timeticks: (1462273788) 169 days, 5:52:17.88

The config changes were made at 9:19-9:20am yesterday (7/30). Should RME have detected the startup config change via polling ccmHistoryStartupLastChanged by the evening?

The polling interval is configurable via rescheduling the RME config polling job. Yes, RME should have found the changes when the next polling job ran.

Could you confirm the "config polling job" you are referring to is under RME -> Admin -> Config Mgmt -> Archive Mgmt -> Collection Settings? Currently, I have Periodic Polling set at 22:15 and Periodic Collection at 23:55. In that case, it explains why the user saw the switch listed in Startup and Running Out-of-Sync Summary at 7pm. It seems the former should really be scheduled much further apart from the latter, since neither can be scheduled to run more than once a day.

Yes, this is the polling job to which I was referring. Typically, polling ones once per day, and collection once per week.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: