cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Error in communicating with DCA Server ?

poppj
Level 1
Level 1

Having problems with common services get error

?Error in communicating with DCA Server.

DCA Server may be down. Please start the DCA Server and then refresh the page.?

Results from server self test are

?database.pl

FAIL Self Test Fail to query cmf.DbVersion, Error: Database server not found (DBD: login failed)

Self Test Fail to query cmf.SYSTABLE, Error: Database server not found (DBD: login failed)??

A number of processes failed to start ? any ideas on where to start troubleshooting this?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Okay, with dmgtd shutdown, delete the cmf.log file (del /f cmf.log). Then, run:

NMSROOT/objects/db/win32/dbsrv9 -f NMSROOT/databases/cmf/cmf.db

Then restart dmgtd, and the database should start up.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

yjdabear
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

On the surface, it looks like a Common Services database password issue, which can be reset with: $NMSROOT/bin/dbpasswd.pl dsn=cmf encryption=yes npwd=new-password-here, but better open a TAC case for a thorough diagnosis.

Martin Ermel
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

DCA is dependent on other processes, if they wont start, DCA cannot start as well.

this could be of changeing the startup parameters of the CiscoWorks services

or a change of the servers' hostname.

read the whole thread here and check if anything applies to your situation:

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Network%20Infrastructure&topic=Network%20Management&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_location%26location%3D.1dddfd05

The hostname has not changed; I did change the DBpassword, it is a standalone server.

security Certficate ok

The Windows server did crash - hang - thinking i may have corrupted database(s). Can common services be re-installed - or do I need a complete LMS re-install?

The database may not be corrupt. Shutdown dmgtd, then look under NMSROOT/databases/cmf. What files are there?

2 files in that directory

cmf.db

cmf.log

and one sub directory

\orig -

cmf.dborig

odbc.tmpl

odbc.tmplorig

the file cmf.log has a timestamp near when the windows server hung / crashed

Okay, with dmgtd shutdown, delete the cmf.log file (del /f cmf.log). Then, run:

NMSROOT/objects/db/win32/dbsrv9 -f NMSROOT/databases/cmf/cmf.db

Then restart dmgtd, and the database should start up.

thank you very much - the dbsrv9 program seems to have fixed that problem, after a re-start both cmf and dca appear to be running. I will let the server run awhile and check them tomorrow morning.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco