Views
Helpful
Replies

diff vlans from cisco4506

cindylee27
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Experts,

I am trying to figure out something on the Cisco4506 inter-vlan routing.. As understand, If we configured, Interface vlan 3 for 10.30.3.0 / 24 and interface vlan 4 for 10.30.4.0 / 24, PC of 10.30.3.4 will be able to ping to 10.30.4.4 PC connected to 10.30.4.0 network. Is this statement valid? Assumption here is there is no access-lists applied on the interface vlan.

thanks in advanced,

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hey Cindy,

Yes you have to enable "ip routing" to make communication work between vlan. "Ip routing" is by default enabled on IOS releases.

But incase if you have disabled it you can enable going to configu mode.

Switch(config)#ip routing

Try that and see if it helps!!

Regards,

Ankur

View solution in original post

One more thing, do you have multiple routers sharing the Vlan hence the need for HSRP ?

Can we also see the same from the other device

show ip route

and

show stand

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As long as both segments point to the switch as the default gateway, Yes.

Hi Friend,

In addition to Edison post assuming "ip routing" is enabled then YES you are right.

Regards,

Ankur

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your advise.. For eg, i have the config as below.. I would like to have the Users from Vlan13 to talk to Vlan14..with the IP Routing, what is the default gateway that I should set so that both of them can talk to each other???

Thanks in advanced again..

----------------------------------------

interface Vlan13

ip address 10.1.13.200 255.255.255.0

ip helper-address 10.1.18.120

no ip redirects

no ip proxy-arp

ntp disable

standby 13 ip 10.1.13.254

standby 13 priority 110

standby 13 preempt

!

interface Vlan14

ip address 10.1.14.200 255.255.255.0

no ip redirects

no ip proxy-arp

ntp disable

standby 14 ip 10.1.14.254

standby 14 priority 110

standby 14 preempt

----------------------------

All client pc's in vlan 13 have to be pointed to 10.1.13.254 and all client pc's int vlan 14 have to be pointed to 10.1.14.254 .

Hi Cindy,

In your case you have configured HSRP on your vlan interfaces so for machines in vlan 13 you should configure gateway address as 10.1.13.254 and for machines in vlan 14 gateway address will be 10.1.14.254.

Had it been the case where you have not configured HSRP then vlan 13 machines should have gateway configured as 10.1.13.200 and machines in vlan 14 should have gateway address as 10.1.14.200.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

Yup, Ankur.. I will rate those helpful post..

but one funny thing is..

I can';t ping the PC from vlan13 to vlan14..is the command applied at the interface prevent it from tracert or ping?? btw, this config is not IP Routing enabled. Will this cause it as well?

thanks..

Please post the output from typing

show ip route

and

show stand

Hi Edison,

I am currently at home now..:) will post to you all when back to office tomorrow..

Thanks guys..and will keep you all updated.

Ankur, my config didn;t have Ip routing statement,is that mean tat it is disable or not shown? How can i go about checking if ip routing is enable? by showing "show ip route"?

Thanks,

One more thing, do you have multiple routers sharing the Vlan hence the need for HSRP ?

Can we also see the same from the other device

show ip route

and

show stand

Hey Cindy,

Yes you have to enable "ip routing" to make communication work between vlan. "Ip routing" is by default enabled on IOS releases.

But incase if you have disabled it you can enable going to configu mode.

Switch(config)#ip routing

Try that and see if it helps!!

Regards,

Ankur

Thanks Guys!

Managed to sort it out..they are indeed able to ping each other..There is a firewall utility which block the pinging..disable it, it works..

But, Ankur.. just one question..you were saying by default,it is IP Routing enable..how can I check that if it is not showing on the config sh run file??

I have rated you guys post ya..:)

thanks again..

Hi

what Ankur meant was the ip routing is enabled by default in the current IOS releases.It will not show up in u r running config.I think u can type no ip routing and check,if it shows up in the running-config then it means that it was enabled.

Thanks

Mahmood

You can verify if routing is enabled by typing

show ip route

With IP routing enabled, you get something like this:

Rack1SW2#show ip route

Codes: C - connected, S - static, R - RIP, M - mobile, B - BGP

D - EIGRP, EX - EIGRP external, O - OSPF, IA - OSPF inter area

N1 - OSPF NSSA external type 1, N2 - OSPF NSSA external type 2

E1 - OSPF external type 1, E2 - OSPF external type 2, E - EGP

i - IS-IS, su - IS-IS summary, L1 - IS-IS level-1, L2 - IS-IS level-2

ia - IS-IS inter area, * - candidate default, U - per-user static route

o - ODR, P - periodic downloaded static route

Without ip routing enable, you get something like this:

Rack1SW2#show ip route

Default gateway is not set

Host Gateway Last Use Total Uses Interface

ICMP redirect cache is empty

Yup, Edison..You are rite..:)

Thanks a lot..

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card