cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

test for ISAKMP/IPSec port being available

tato386
Level 6
Level 6

I suspect that the ISP managed router that is sitting in front of my PIX is somehow blocking ISAKMP (UDP 500) packets from reaching my PIX. Is there a way I can test if this is the case? Maybe something like telnetting to port 25 to see if an SMTP host is responding or something similar?

Thanks,

Diego

5 Replies 5

srue
Level 7
Level 7

what model pix and what OS version? is there a lan switch that connects the PIX and isp managed router?

you have a couple options...

capturing traffic on the pix...

using span if there's a switch between the two.

last but not least, call the isp and ask them.

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

In addition to all Steven's suggestions you could run "debug crypto isa" and then initiate a connection. If you see nothing on your pix then yes it could be getting blocked.

Jon

purohit_810
Level 5
Level 5

You can use Ethereal and USE TCPDUMP utility.

It will show you easyly... How traffic floow in between two device.

Sniffer: You can SPAN switch port use ETHERPEAK ANALYZER NX. You will get idea.

3) Implement below

access-list capin permit ip host {Firewall outside IP} host (Router Outside)

access-list capin permit ip host (Router outside) host {Firewall Outside}

access-list capin permit ip host (Firewall Outside IP) host {Router IP}

access-list capin permit ip host {Router IP} host {Fiewall Outside IP} capture capin access-list capin interface Outside

See show capin callin command Output

Regards,

Dharmesh Purohit

tato386
Level 6
Level 6

Thanks for all your help guys. I had already called the ISP and was told that there was no blocking. I called again, got a different tech, and my problem was solved when the 2nd tech reconfigured the router fronting my PIX.

Thanks,

Diego

that usually means something was being blocked and they didn't want to admit it the second time - and the first time you called they didn't even look at it. Same thing has happened to me before.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card