Views
Helpful
Replies

VSPAN or RSPAN

alex.tulio
Level 1
Level 1

hi guys,

i have a number of interface to monitor with my ids, problem is i only have one port in my ids and i would like to monitor ports in the traffic coming from the private wan and traffic from the internet on both switches. any idea how this scenario? will vspan/rspan/span will work on this? attached is the simple network diagram.

thanks

alex

3 Replies 3

michal.grzelak
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Basicly You would need span+rspan. You can use SPAN to monitor traffic on the same switch (from Private WAN+one link from Internet) and RSPAN to forward traffic from the other switch (from second link to Internet).

Configuration depends on switches classed You have. I will give an example of span+rspan that I am using on Cat6500.

I have put port numbers in Your drawing, so it would be more clear:

Switch A:

vlan 100

name sniffer

remote-span

exit

monitor session 2 source int gi 1/1

monitor session 2 source int gi 1/3

monitor session 2 source remote vlan 100

monitor session 2 destination int gi 1/4

---------

Switch B:

vlan 100

name sniffer

remote-span

exit

monitor session 2 source int gi 1/2

monitor session 2 destination remote vlan 100

---------

Make sure that Vlan100 is allowed on trunk between those switches.

If You have any questions regarding my post, please let me know.

Regards:

Michal

Forgot to attach drawing :)

I am trying to monitor a switchport that is in a 3750, which is remote to our location. The remote is connected via fiber to a 6509. My question is this, Is int gig1/4 the trunk port to the 6509? By the same token is int gig 1/2 on Switch B the trunk to Switch A? Knowing this would be most helpful. Thank you.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card