Views
Helpful
Replies

enabling vtp version 3

william.briere
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am trying to enable vtp version 3 on my redundant 6505E's running glbp and are having some trouble. It tells me I need to use the command "set spantree macreduction enable" but this command doesn't work when I type it. Is there something I'm missing?

9 Replies 9

william.briere
Level 1
Level 1

Is vtp version 3 supported on 6500 with verison 12.2?

Hi William

As far as i know VTP version 3 is only supported on CatOS ver 8.1 and later.

Jon

Forgive the question... But should I be using CatOS or IOS? I'm really unsure about the benefits or drawbacks of each.

Thanks

Hi William,

I will say IOS as there is more focus towards IOS and redundancy like SSO with NSF is possible in IOS only. Also it is easy to have one single interface to manage switch as well as router where you have 2 different OS to be managed in CATOS (Hybrid Mode).

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

So you say that I should be running IOS if I have two 6500's with one 720-3b sup in each chassis running GLBP?

How would I be able to have VTP server redundancy in this case?

Just thought I would ask :)

William

You can still make both core switches VTP servers for redundancy.

Jon

I would recommend using IOS because that's the way Cisco is heading. There are definitely some advantages using CatOS image but I wouldn't be suprised if all/most Cisco equipment might support only IOS in the future.

HTH

Sundar

Sundar / Ankur

Uncanny how we happen to be posting at exact same time :)

Jon

Hi

If you run CatOS on the switch then you will still need to run IOS on the MSFC.

Nowadays i think it's fair to say IOS would be the first choice for the 6500 although we do run CatOs on some of our access-layer switches as we have no need for IP routing on these switches.

If your switch is doing inter-vlan routing etc. then unless you have a specific feature you need that is only supported on CatOS i would recommend using IOS.

HTH

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: