cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Setting up sup 720 3b redundancy

william.briere
Level 1
Level 1

I have two 6506E's with one sup 720-3b in each chassis. I am not sure how I connect the sup cards together to allow for peak performance. Any suggestions?

Here is my redundnacy config...

redundancy

mode sso

main-cpu

auto-sync running-config

spanning-tree mode pvst

5 Replies 5

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi William,

Since your chassis has single sup720 you will not get the benefit of SSO. SSO comes into picture when you have redundant sups in same chassis and configs get synched between the 2 sups and when the active sup goes down standby sup will take over in 2-3 seconds.

Where as you have 2 redundant chassis with single sups in each chassis which you can be configured with HSRP but still the downtime will be more as compared to switcjover of sups in same chassis.

To know more about SSO+NSF

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/122sx/swcg/nsfsso.htm

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

Can they successfully be configured to use GLBP? If so (I'm assuming the answer is yes) how do I connect them for GLBP redundancy in the best way for peak performance?

Hi William,

Yes GLBP is an option. This link will give you an idea about network design and consideration for GLBP

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_configuration_example09186a00807d2520.shtml#req

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

Thanks,

I actually have this article open right now. :)

I appreciate your input.

Can I not accomplish stateful failover with single 720-3b sup's in two difefrent chassis?

This would mean all I'm getting is routing redundancy using GLBP and not state sync. This seems odd given the enterprise grade of the devices...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card