cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Router C has a SW LAN on network 192.168.1.0/24 while router B has 2 subnet

Sundayfat
Level 1
Level 1

Router C has a SW LAN on network 192.168.1.0/24 while router B has 2 subnetworks 10.1.1.0/24 and 10.1.2.0/24 on either side. Now a new Router A is added to this network and has SW LAN on network 172.16.0.0/24. Router A is connected to the 10.1.1.0/24 subnet on Router B.

RtrB and RtrC are configured for RIPv1 and have complete connectivity. RtrA is added to the network. What is the most appropriate RtrA configuration for full connectivity?

Do I need to enable RIP and then add all these networks as follows:

Router RIP

netw 10.0.0.0

netw 192.168.1.0

netw 172.16.0.0

or to enable RIP & add just Router A LAN and WAN networks

Router RIP

netw 172.16.0.0

netw 10.0.0.0

Thanks for your attention

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If the device has an interface that belongs to that network and you want to announce it to other routers, then sure, include 192.168.1.0 under the RIP process.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

You only add network statements for the networks that the router has interfaces in so you would use the second example

router rip

network 172.16.0.0

network 10.0.0.0

HTH

Jon

Hi Jon,

Many thanks. May I ask why I wouldn't need to add the netw 192.168.1.0 ? I very much appreciate response.

Hi

Because with RIP/OSPF/EIGRP etc. the network statements are not telling the router which networks to advertise out. The network statements are telling the router which interfaces to run the routing protocol on. So if router A had an interface in the 192.168.1.0 network you would need to add it under your router rip config.

For completeness note that the network statements under BGP do actually tell the router which networks to advertise.

HTH

Jon

Hi Jon,

Many thanks. May I ask why I wouldn't need to add the netw 192.168.1.0 ? I very much appreciate response.

If the device has an interface that belongs to that network and you want to announce it to other routers, then sure, include 192.168.1.0 under the RIP process.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco