cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2811-V/K9 router bundle

jivorivor1
Level 1
Level 1

Our buisness had a cisco voip install some months ago and we are needing to add a new site which means new hardware and soft costs for programming. I am trying to save money by doing this myself insead of the installing company. however i am unfamiliar with cisco purchasing and licensing requirements.

If i buy a router or switch on ebay and then want to buy 5 years worth of smartnet can this be done since it was not bought new from a cisco certified reseller? Also does a router 2811-V/K9 contain SRST or would that have to be purchased seprately.

6 Replies 6

jreekers
Level 4
Level 4

Hi. I can't answer the first part of your question regarding support for a router bought off of ebay, but I think I can answer the 2nd question.

The V/k9 image name indicates a voice/crypto image, and yes, it will have srst embedded into it.

HTH,

-J

miroque
Level 1
Level 1

I think that if you'll buy on eBay, you also should buy smartnet. Though i guess that it can be impossible, cause they have scheme like this: Cisco distributor-> Resaler -> Customer.

All that is not in this scheme is "grey" and cannot be maintained.

You should consult with resaler.

(sorry for mistakes, English not my native)

DeonLouwBotha
Level 1
Level 1

Consult with a local Cisco Partner in your area. If the Partner has been in the business long enough they might know of one of their customers or of someone that may be upgrading or migrating to other kit.

The local Cisco Partner can also arrange SMARTnet for the device and in this way you make sure that you get an original channel authentic Cisco that will have support in your market and not a grey.

ccbootcamp
Level 7
Level 7

If you want smartnet for your router, don't buy the router off ebay. Purchase it from a reputable reseller along with the smartnet.

-brad

jpodolanko
Level 1
Level 1

I work for a Partner/Reseller. You can order a device off of Ebay, and you can get SMARTnet on it...HOWEVER, it is not cost-effective. Cisco will require you pay an additional fee on top of your SMARTnet to recertify and inspect your device. Plus you will have to pay for a new IOS or software license because the existing software is licensed to someone else. Do what you will, but I would highly discourage that type of action. I've had customers who could have saved money by going through us.

buchholr
Level 1
Level 1

Lots of good advice here. Stay away from eBay if you want support. It will become cost prohibitive, and there is a chance of getting a knock-off which will not be supportable by anyone. As to the second part of the question, -V/K9 routers do NOT have SRST. The correct feature set is -SRST/K9. A good reseller will work with you and make sure you get exactly what you need for your site, and it will most likely cost a lot less in the long run.

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco