cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding a Failover server to an existing Unity 4.0 server

g_chan
Level 1
Level 1

I hope someone can answer this for me. I would like to add a Unity failover server to a UM server that is using MSDE and not SQL. I understand that to have failover, you need to be using SQL. Is there anyway to add this failover server without rebuilding the primary to include SQL? Thank you in advance for any help.

8 Replies 8

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Sure its not SQL? Almost all Unity installs are SQL and MSDE.

What version Unity do you have? If it is 4.0, I would highly recommend upgrading to SQL SP4 and upgrading Unity to 4.2.1. Failover is flakie at the level you are on. (engineering patches, etc)

Also keep in mind, your failover server must match your primary server. OS, SQL, Unity, etc.

Thanks for your reply, I think it is only MSDE because the original server was a standalone with 24 ports, during the installation, does it not use just MSDE when the # of ports is less than 32? The customer has elected to stay on this build and not upgrade.

With the newer versions, it really does not look at the number of ports when installing the database. The database is typcically SQL 2000 SP4 in 4.0.5 to 4.2.1.

This might be a TAC question that you could get a better answer on.

Yes you can upgrade MSDE to SQL, I think let me find a doc for you before you have to open a TAC case.

rlp

Yeah, there is a SQL Script you can run to verify what version of SQL you are running. Im upgrading a SP3 to 4 tonight, then upgrading from 4.0.5 to 4.2.1.

Fun stuff

cheers

Thanks for this link. I did manage to find this after I posted, however I didn't know we are now on 4. I will be using their original installation disks, which is probably still sp3 and 3a.

Here was my plan and it went flawless the other night.

- backup

- upgrade SQL database on 4.x

- Or, run the Unity MS patch "kit" that is available. It will update all patches for OS and MS related software

- update schema

- update Exchange if needed (if it's UM, then you have Exchange off box and it's probably 2003, Unity probably still has 2k admin on it)

-Run Updated permissions wizard

- Run software update

- update TSP software

Im leaving my upgraded 4.05 to 4.2.1 server "sit" for a week to make sure it is stable before I move to adding in failover.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: