Inside Cisco IOS Architecture.. outdated?

Unanswered Question
Aug 1st, 2007

I'm starting the inside cisco IOS architecture book. I was just curious if anyone knew whether or not it still has valid information in it or not. I see a few chapters where I would not know whether the information was for legacy devices or not.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
prasenjitmedhi Thu, 08/02/2007 - 00:51

It would be an interesting read I guess. But I dont know how much more useful it would be for someone who is already good at designing Cisco networks, and who has a CCNP/CCIE.

I would put it in the 'nice to know' category. As far as I know, and I'm a relative neophyte in the Cisco Universe,

Cisco IOS is essentially an extremely optimized version of a real time UNIX which runs on Motorola processors.

Even if its an older edition, the essentials of the 'OS' arent going to change much, just newer kernel modules, more optimization, and the rest. To be honest it might even be a better idea to learn about the OS in an earlier avatar rather than a hugely more complex newer IOS edition. So I wouldnt fret about the newness or lack thereof of the book.

Just my thoughts,

Prasenjit

mohammedmahmoud Thu, 08/02/2007 - 01:00

hi,

Its a nice book, but yes it is outdated, but the concepts in this book are nicely explained, you can read further documents for the newer devices, but still this book covers the fundamental topics, and more over it is just around 160 pages so it won't take long to be read :)

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

keegan.holley Thu, 08/02/2007 - 04:40

Thats sort of why I grabbed it. I have another book on order and I think I can finish this one in the 5-9 days it will take to arrive. I was just curious if anyone had any information on major changes to IOS in the years since this book was written. This sort of reminds me of the C/C++ learning curve. It's good to learn a little C before transitioning but if you learn too much some of the newer features in C++ will be confusing because you are used to doing it the "legacy" way.

Actions

This Discussion