Helpful
Replies

Switch Trunking PRoblem - Desirable mode

cindylee27
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Experts,

I have one switch, fa0/0 connected to Router which has dot1q at g0/1.2

But I am puzzling why the switch access mode desirable is not able to bring the vlan across to the router. As What i thought is desirable is an auto setting that will tag the router's dot1q.

COnfig as below:

Switch End

-----------

Interface FastEthernet0/0

switchport mode dynamic desirable

Router End

------------

interface GigabitEthernet0/1

ip address 16.11.22.254 255.255.255.0

ip helper-address 16.11.2.23

ip helper-address 16.11.1.23

no ip redirects

no ip proxy-arp

duplex full

speed 100

!

interface GigabitEthernet0/1.2

encapsulation dot1Q 2

ip address 16.11.20.254 255.255.255.0

ip helper-address 16.11.2.23

ip helper-address 16.11.1.23

no ip redirects

no ip proxy-arp

ntp disable

bridge-group 1

bridge-group 1 input-lsap-list 101

bridge-group 1 input-type-list 100

bridge-group 1 output-lsap-list 101

bridge-group 1 output-type-list 100

bridge-group 1 input-pattern-list 1200

Thanks in advanced..

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi Cindy,

The command "switchport mode dynamic desirable" negotiates if the port should be access or trunk, and has nothing to do with which vlan the access port should be a member of.

Moreover, routers doesn't support DTP, and thus if your wish is to have the port as trunk you'll need to configure it with "switchport mode trunk" on the switch side.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi Cindy,

The command "switchport mode dynamic desirable" negotiates if the port should be access or trunk, and has nothing to do with which vlan the access port should be a member of.

Moreover, routers doesn't support DTP, and thus if your wish is to have the port as trunk you'll need to configure it with "switchport mode trunk" on the switch side.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Hi Mahmoud,

Great answer ya..:)

Understood.

Thanks!

Hi Cindy,

You are very welcomed :), i am glade that i've been informative, and thank you for using the rating system.

BR,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

A router cannot negotiate a trunk with desirable mode , thus all trunks from switches to routers must be forced on , "switchport mode trunk" . Desirable will work between switches or l2/l3 switches , options for each end would be desirable/desirable or desirable/auto on each end.

Thanks Glen.Make my understanding on this trunking related even better..:) appreciate that.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco