Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Switch 3750 RPC Message in Logs

elkono200
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

i have a switch stack of 8 Cisco 3750 (Cluster CMD), there are connected 8 Cluster Member-Stacks.

Version 12.2(25)SE

i have following Message in my Syslog.

%PLATFORM_RPC-3-MSG_THROTTLED: RPC Msg Dropped by throttle mechanism: type 3, class 39, max_msg 4, total throttled 1173

what kind of problem can it be?

i looked on the cisco site, but there is written only following:

----------

Error Message PLATFORM_RPC-3-MSG_THROTTLED: RPC Msg Dropped by throttle mechanism:

type [int], class [int], max_msg [int], total throttled [int]

Explanation This message means that there are too many outgoing messages queued for a message class. An RSP message was dropped. The first [int] is the message type, the second [int] is the message class, the third [int] is the maximum number of messages that can be queued before throttling occurs, and the last [int] is the total number of messages that have been throttled.

Recommended Action Copy the error message exactly as it appears on the console or in the system log, call your Cisco technical support representative, and provide the representative with the gathered information.

----------

can i do something, to resolve the problem?

is it enough to restart the Switchstack?

thx

elkono

1 Reply 1

pradeepde
Level 5
Level 5

I think when an excessive number (more than 100 packets per second) of Address Resolution Protocol (ARP) packets are sent to a Network Admission Control (NAC) Layer 2 IP-configured member port, a switch might display a message similar to this:

%PLATFORM_RPC-3-MSG_THROTTLED: RPC Msg Dropped by throttle mechanism:

Also I think it better to restart the devices.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card