cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Call Handler reports cleanup interval log sizes

mbrooksbef
Level 1
Level 1

I'm having to Increase out Call Handler files cleanup for report/logger diag/loggerdata from the default of 7 days, to the max (IIRC 45 or 90?).

I want to know where the existing 7 days of files are stored. I am trying to consider the impact of disk space by making that change.

I also need to know that if I make this change, does the Unity server need to be restarted for this change to go into effect?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

navinger
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

The default location is CommServer\Logs for the diags and data files. You specify this at Unity install time. You can change the path in the Advanced Settings Tool (AST) in Tools Depot. The setting name is: "System - Change the default location where diagnostic and data logs are stored"

If you change that location, just don't make it the route of the drive... create a directory for the files. The description of the key in AST says that "A restart of Unity will be necessary before this takes effect."

The location for the report files is CommServer\Reports. I don't know of anyway to change this location. But you can move the report files to another location without any problems.

As I recall, when you make the change in the SA from the default of 7 days to whatever, you do not need to restart Unity for it to take effect. The help doesn't say one way or the other. The help did remind me that for failover systems, you'll need to make this change on both the primary and secondary as registry keys don't replicate. Same for the AST key. If this is crucial, after making the change, I would copy (not move, copy) the data and diag files to another location until you verify that the new interval is respected.

The impact on disk space increases if you have more than the default traces enabled in the Unity Diagnostic Tool. If you've done some troubleshooting with TAC, for example, and never reset the traces to the defaults, you should go ahead and reset to the defaults. You want to leave the default traces enabled though.

One other thing. The size of the call handler table in the ReportDB database is going to be huge. I hope you have SQL Server 2000. If you've got MSDE instead, there could be issues with it running out of space.

Nancy

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

navinger
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

The default location is CommServer\Logs for the diags and data files. You specify this at Unity install time. You can change the path in the Advanced Settings Tool (AST) in Tools Depot. The setting name is: "System - Change the default location where diagnostic and data logs are stored"

If you change that location, just don't make it the route of the drive... create a directory for the files. The description of the key in AST says that "A restart of Unity will be necessary before this takes effect."

The location for the report files is CommServer\Reports. I don't know of anyway to change this location. But you can move the report files to another location without any problems.

As I recall, when you make the change in the SA from the default of 7 days to whatever, you do not need to restart Unity for it to take effect. The help doesn't say one way or the other. The help did remind me that for failover systems, you'll need to make this change on both the primary and secondary as registry keys don't replicate. Same for the AST key. If this is crucial, after making the change, I would copy (not move, copy) the data and diag files to another location until you verify that the new interval is respected.

The impact on disk space increases if you have more than the default traces enabled in the Unity Diagnostic Tool. If you've done some troubleshooting with TAC, for example, and never reset the traces to the defaults, you should go ahead and reset to the defaults. You want to leave the default traces enabled though.

One other thing. The size of the call handler table in the ReportDB database is going to be huge. I hope you have SQL Server 2000. If you've got MSDE instead, there could be issues with it running out of space.

Nancy

this was my solution, I was able to bump it up from 7 days and go higher, thank you.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: