Views
Helpful
Replies

Stack with WS-C3750-48TS and WS-C3750-48PS-S

elkono200
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

can i create a stack with two "different" switches, like WS-C3750-48TS and WS-C3750-48PS-S.

my problem is that i have running on the

48TS -> 12.2(25)SE

and on the

48PS-S -> 12.2(25)SEE2

if i connect the two switches -> VERSION_MISMATCH

is it possible to load the softwareversion 12.2(25)SEE2 on the 48TS, or is it incompatible?

thx

elkono

5 Replies 5

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes you can create a stack with any 3750 or 3750G, regardless of the hardware type. As you have seen though you need to make sure they are all running the same IOS release prior to 'stacking' them. The upgrade is a pretty simple task though. If you want to mix SMI & EMI switches in the stack be aware of the licensing issues - i.e. if you create a stack with EMI & SMI switches (running the same IOS version, NOT feature set, so one running 12.2(25)SEE IP Base(SMI) & the other 12.2(25)SEE IP Services(EMI) then this will work. The whole stack will have EMI features as long as the stack master is the EMI switch. If you upgrade the switches once they are in a stack it will upgrade all members to the same feature set so the chances are you will infringe upon the license agreement (unless obvioulsy you have purchased licenses for the SMI's to be upgraded to EMI).

HTH

Andy

hi andrew,

thx for your good and helpful answer. but where can i see or find out which kind of switch type i have (SMI or EMI)?

thx

elkono

Hi,

Use the Show Version command, int 1st few line you of the output will see IPBASE or IPSERVICES.

IPBASE=SMI and IPSERVICES = EMI

HTH

Shaheen

hi,

but on the WS-C3750-48TS there is only "i9":

Cisco IOS Software, C3750 Software (C3750-I9-M), Version 12.2(25)SE, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc)

and on the WS-C3750-48PS-S - i can see IPBASE

Cisco IOS Software, C3750 Software (C3750-IPBASE-M), Version 12.2(25)SEE2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

thx

elkono

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card