cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can only ping using extended ping

garybeach
Level 1
Level 1

I know I've come across this before, but can't remember solution/answer.

I am unable to ping a remote server interface from our hub router unless I use extended ping.

I can ping from my PC to the server, just not directly from the router (unless using extended).

Anyone have any ideas?

Gary

5 Replies 5

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Gary

It sounds like the router is choosing the wrong interface for the source IP address and it's only when you do an extended ping that it works.

Does the server know how to route back to all the router interfaces.

Jon

Hi Jon

Thanks for you input. I'm still waiting for access to the particular server in question so that I can check.

Gary

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In addition to Jon's suggestion, perhaps the remote server only knows about your LAN subnet, not the WAN subnet (routing). It can also be an ACL somewhere in the path.

Hi

I have just accessed the server in question and that seems to have all the relevant routing required AND it can also ping the Hub router (correct interface) with no problems...so I am now stuck with able to ping from my PC but not from the Hub router (my PC being on same subnet as Hub router).

Strange

Gary

Hi Guys

After accessing the server and running tracert on it I noticed that it could not ping the WAN side interface of the Hub Router as another Win2003 router was forcing the route via a firewall rather than the local router. I have now added a specific route on this server to this WAN interface and the Hub router can now ping the server.

Result!

Thanks for your input.

Gary

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card