cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Copying config from a switch

omgjames1
Level 1
Level 1

Can somebody please explain the proper way (step by step) on how to copy the config file from a switch?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

You can do this via 2 ways:

1. Do a show run and copy and paste the output to notepad and save it.

2. use the command "copy startup-config tftp:", but you must have a tftp server.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

You can do this via 2 ways:

1. Do a show run and copy and paste the output to notepad and save it.

2. use the command "copy startup-config tftp:", but you must have a tftp server.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

and how do i copy it to a new switch?

and if i was doing this to a router, how would i change the routes within it?

For applying configuration to another switch/router, you would do opposite of what Mohammed suggested.

1. Login to the switch/router, type go into configuration mode with "config t", and paste all of the information from the notepad, or whatever you are using.

2. You can also do "copy tftp: startup-config", but you'd need a TFTP server.

For the router, only static routes are in the configuration. Other routes are created either automatically (Routes with "C" code for Connected) or dynamically through the use of routing protocol. Therefore routing table is created only after router boots up, starts communicating and exchanges information with it's neighbors.

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

And addition to Mohammed's suggestion, if you want to copy the Vlan information, change the switch to vtp transparent so this information can be part of the config. If the switch is running on vtp server or client, this information is contained in the vlan.dat file.

What type of hardware are we dealing with ?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card