failed BSCI today

Unanswered Question
Aug 2nd, 2007

I failed the BSCI exam today with a 756. All I used to study was the BSCI self study v3 guide from Cisco press and 3 cisco routers. I got alot of questions on multicast and ipv6 which I wasn't completely prepared for. I just purchased the BSCI exam guide v4 and will take the test again in a few weeks. Any suggestions on other study material? Thanks

Overall Rating: 4.3 (3 ratings)
brianjpisa Wed, 09/26/2007 - 16:25

Retook the test on 9/24 and passed with a 851. Now on to BCMSN.

ascoolasice Wed, 09/26/2007 - 23:39

Congrats. So what did you do differently this time in terms of studying? Will be taking that exam soon.

brianjpisa Sat, 09/29/2007 - 12:04

I went over ipv6 and multicasting very well since I had alot of questions on those topics the first time around. The exam certification guide from cisco press explained it much better than the self study guide. I also went in with the approach to answer the easier questions that are only a few sentences long as fast as possible. First time I took it I finished with about 3 minutes left. I felt rushed and I know I got 2 simlet questions wrong because they were in the last 5 questions I got. This time I finished with 15 minutes left and was able to take my time through the simulations and simlet questions.

fabio.mendes Wed, 10/03/2007 - 10:19

Congrats brianjpisa !

I'm gonna take that exam soon.

I'm only using BSCI self study guide book.

Do you think only using the self study guides series is enough to pass ?

Cya,

Fabio

brianjpisa Wed, 10/03/2007 - 14:00

Fabio, I don't think just using the self study guide book is good enough. When they get to the multicast and ipv6, they do not explain it that well. I got the exam prep book from cisco press that includes a cdrom with practice questions. It explained multicast and ipv6 much better and also gave some different information on other topics that was not in the self study guide. Also, on the cisco press website, their are additional appendixes for that book that go over things like prefix lists and aggregate addresses for BGP.

cyphur353 Sat, 09/29/2007 - 17:54

devonmuse2 -

Cisco will let you know when you go in to take the exam.

shedrickc Tue, 10/02/2007 - 11:47

Hi Brian, what are you using for the lab set up (HW and IOS ver)? I am preparing for the exam an I would like to setup my own lab at minimal cost.

brianjpisa Tue, 10/02/2007 - 16:47

I used 2-2500 series routers, both have two serial interfaces and are running 12.0(something). I got one for $15 and other one for $30. I also have a 1700 series with a serial interface for $60. I got them and 6' DCE/DTE cables (about $4 each) all from ebay. I really did use them that much at all. The only thing I did with them is configured OSPF, EIGRP, and BGP briefly....ISIS would not work on the IOS versions I had. In the few months of studying for the test, I probably only worked on them for a total of 5 hours. To me this test was more about theory of how routing protocols work, which a small test lab wasn't that much help to me. Once you know what the IOS commands are, what they do, and how they affect the routing protocol, configuring the router is easy. Just make sure you know your Multicast and IPv6 very very well.

Also, I've heard of a free program called Dynamips that simulate cisco routers....research about that before you buy any used routers.

shedrickc Wed, 10/03/2007 - 08:39

Thanks. I'm gonna search around Ebay for some used routers. I 've heard a few folks say that you'll need to run the 12.4 IOS and only the 2600XM series or the 3600 Series support that version. I just need to get some equipment now to practice the commands and invest more later. I've heard about Dynamips also so I will look into it. Thanks alot for the tips.

jarrettjjackson Tue, 10/02/2007 - 16:24

if you can get your hands on cbt software like cbt nuggets which I used and cisco press together it really helped me out the instructor on there is very knowledgeable.

Actions

This Discussion