cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UM vs VM-only

g_chan
Level 1
Level 1

When you install Cisco Unity software and it asks you if this is going to be VM-only or UM, what exactly is the difference during the actual installation of the Unity SW? And is there a way to confirm if the Unity server was built as a VM-only or UM server?

Thanks!

7 Replies 7

Ginger Dillon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi -

As of Unity 4.2(1), you can have both unified messaging licenses and vm-only licenses on the same server. But the way I would check, prior to 4.2(1) would be if there is text-to-speech on the server. Voicemail only implementations are typically NOT licensed for TTS sessions - service AvTtsSvr. Also, in your licensing, it will say if you are licensed for unified messaging subscribers, either go to SA web and check licensing or from Start - Programs - Unity - Licensing on the server you can see this information.

Ginger

There is definitely UM licenses on the server, but the UM licenses are currently not used, only Subscriber Mailbox licenses because the customer's email storage is not currently on the same exchange server. I guess my question is, is it possible that the server was built with the selection of vm-only, but loading UM licenses and when the email is moved to the same exchange server, would the Unity server need to be rebuilt in order to utilization the UM features or just as long as the alias match?

Hi -

Yes, the server could have been built with the intention of moving to unified messaging. Take a look at this document - it was written based on Unity 3.x but is still referenced by the Unity reconfiguration guide. It addresses what needs to be done to "merge" voice with users' email and the directory synchronization necessary. The process does not move the voice messages to the users' email storage. I might check in with TAC on this to be sure we're on the right track. http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_white_paper09186a0080109775.shtml

Ginger

Hi Ginger,

Thanks for your reply. I did read that document that you posted and it looks like that I would just need to run the migrate subscriber data tool to merge the email and voicemail. I guess my real concern is what is the difference between selecting vm-only as supposed to um when building the servers? If there is no difference, then I know I won't have to rebuild the server, and since they have UM licenses, if they ever need to go UM, they would just use the migrate subscriber data tool mentioned in the link, but if for whatever reason, vm-only was selected and it would somehow prevent them from going UM when they move email to the same exchange server, then the server would need to be rebuilt. Any ideas?

Thanks again!

My understanding is that you can have both UM and VM on the same server. But in the AD administration part and Exchange Server, the accounts must be separated for the licenses to valid.

For instance.

Unity 4.2 integrated with Exchange in your Production AD (rather than a separate domain/exchange setup)

John Doe (AD and Exchange account)

John Doe -VMONLY (Separate exchange and AD Account)

Basically, every user who was licenses for VM ONLY, would have another account just used for voicemail. It would never hit their email account etc.

What if the customer currently has vm-only (John Doe-VMONLY) on the exchange server, even though Unity has licenses for UM (email is currently somewhere else). When they eventually move their email to the same Exchange box, is there a way to immediately use the same mailbox or would they have to go through the exercise of creating John Doe (AD and Exchange account) and then use Migrate Subscriber Data Tool to merge the two accounts?

So let me understand what they have.

Unity with offbox Exchange VM Only in production AD enviroment. The client is currently NOT use Exchange for anything else, its only for Unity.

The customer plans to put in a new Exchange FOR email only, and then migrate to UM, keeping in the same AD enviroment. Correct?

There is a tool to migrate data.

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/4_x_tools.htm Notice it is a new tool. Watch the video also. Basically, if the accounts have a different alias, then you have to match them in a "mini" database that the the migration tool uses. Example would be:

First Name Last Name Alias new alias

John Doe jdoevm jodoe

Unity will then basically dump all the voicemails to the new mailbox. If you have a small amount of users, you can simply go into the folder, rename the PST files to what the new Alias is going to be, run the Exchange tool to import this to the EXISTING exchange accounts in the new enviorment.

But since you are using the same unity server, Im trying to recall how Unity is updated when John doe's alias is changed. You will rerun the mailstore configurations, but I think that the subscriber migration tool updates this as well. You may have to re-add the users after you migrate them, then they will have to setup their recorded name, greeting and reset their password. (not a huge deal)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: