cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IPT Design

abbas.ali
Level 1
Level 1

I have ten sites in USA with 1225 users, three sites in France with 275 users, two sites in Germany with 110 users, one site in UK with 25 users, two sites in Japan with 65 users, and one site in China with 40 users.

I am thinking of designing (3) Clusters, one in North America to cover US sites, one in Europe to cover France, Germany, and UK, and one in Asia to cover Japan and China.

Note: Should each cluster have its own Unity Server.

Need some pointers to see if would be optimal or someone has some other recommendation.

4 Replies 4

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Each cluster does not need it's own Unity. You can have mulitple switch integrations with UNity.

Are you doing UM or VMO solution? Where is your message store? The message store placement will drive your Unity design more than the CM clusters.

HTH,

Chris

You can definitely have a single Unity Server for this but it needs to be within 40ms of the message store so if the customer has multiple Exchange systems, that is what will drive your Unified Messaging Server allocations (if UM).

Due to latency issues going International, I have seen more success in going with a single UCM cluster to cover the US locations and CCME at each of the International locations. You need to really know the RTD if you plan on covering that many miles with a single UCM cluster and if you intend on putting a Publisher at one of the cluster locations with a Subscriber at the local offices to eliminate backhauling all of the traffic, well, you still have to have like no more than 40-50ms delay between the PUB-SUB. Depending on budget, you may have to look at using Unity Express at some of these locations but if the customer wants UM, they will have to live with an IMAP connection to their Exchange servers.

The requirement is actually for Unity to be on the same LAN as message store (at least 100mb/s). They've changed it from 40 ms some time ago.

Chris

Yea, I noticed that but they never replaced it with a comparable delay and just left it open by stating at least 100mb/s connection. Pretty vague if you ask me so I like to continue to quote the 40ms. They have just tried to figure out how they can openly not support installations that are not on the same LAN. Metro Ethernet is getting so cheap that it is fairly common that a company has 100mb links between locations and Cisco will quickly state they don't support that (but they will soon). Hmmmm...

In any event, good clarification because that is exact in the newer versions of Unity (like 4.2 and newer or something like that)...

Scott

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: