Starting CCNP studies, now I need LAB equipment!

Unanswered Question

I really want to have a home lab as nothing really beats the tactileness of the hardware. I have some hardware from work, but I'd like to know what's the best (new preferably) hardware to get for the CCNP.

Right now I have the Cisco Press BSCI and BCMSN books (cert guide and study guides) and I want to get hardware to match up with those books.

Can 2600 level routers handle this stuff?

Do I need a frame relay generator?

Do I need powered Ethernet?

Do I need wireless access points?

Would three routers and three switches be enough?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
mohammedmahmoud Thu, 08/02/2007 - 12:18

Yes the 2600 level router would be nice, for frame-relay you can use a 2500 router or even a 2600 router acting as a frame-relay switch, and moreover i think 3 routers and 3 switches would be fine, as for the powered Ethernet and the wireless access point they are not a must.

Mohammed Mahmoud.

steve_steele Wed, 08/08/2007 - 22:54

I have 3 2620's but could not run BGP on them. I also have 3 2610XM's which would run BGP.

I could not get any of them to run MPLS though.

I do have one 3725 that would run MPLS ( The basics of which are discussed in ONT ) but as it's the only router I have there wasn't a great deal I could do with it.

A 2511 access server is very handy for console access to all devices. I also used it for injecting rip routes for redistribution in some of the more complicated scenarios I mocked up.

I'm about to start BCMSN which I've put off whilst I found a couple of suitable switches. I'm going to try and manage with 1 3550 and 1 2950 but I suspect that I might have to get another 1 of each to lab things up properly Subject to the sale of a kidney.

I have a 8 port network module (NM-8AS I think) in one of the routers which can be configured as a frame relay switch.

If your unsure what technology will run on what router the Cisco Feature Navigator is really useful

I hope some of that will be of use.

prasenjitmedhi Wed, 08/08/2007 - 23:12

I've bought stuff from a CCIE certified guy on ebay,

He sells a CCNP lab as well. Now I dont mean to advertise this one guy but it worked out fine for me, I bought some 3620's from him.

Heres the link:

His lab setup includes:

6 - Cisco 3620 Routers, 64/16 RAM, 12.3 Enterprise IOS

12 - WIC-1T Serial Modules

6 - Cisco NM-1E2W Modules

1 - Cisco 2509 - 2 Serial, 1 Ethernet, 8x Asynchronous Ports (Terminal Server)

1 - Cisco 2521 Router, 4 Serial Ports, 1 ISDN Port

2 - Cisco 2950-24 Switches (Latest IOS)

1 - FREE Internetwork Expert CCIE Lab Training Manual:

CCIE Routing & Switching Lab Workbook Volume I (IEWB-RS-VOL1) Printed Version

10- FREE Ethernet Cables

6- FREE DCE/DTE Crossover Cables

10- AC Power Cords

1- Console cable kit

8- Console Rollover Cables for 2509

HTH! Please vote if it was helpful.

cyphur353 Thu, 08/09/2007 - 05:53

I vote for dynamips/dynagen for the BSCI, ONT and ISCW exams. Pick up a couple 3550 or 3560 switches for BCMSN or rent some rack time.

This Discussion