cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Way to implement dispatch-xxx type delay w/LAT connections?

skingry
Level 1
Level 1

I have seventy-some connections that we are trying to move from old legacy DEC equipment to various Cisco terminal servers. These are "reverse" connections that are established by a network host via LAT. The connections remain up indefinitely, and then the host and the devices connected to the serial lines communicate back and forth. There are many cases where things happen too quick for the devices on the serial lines to handle. By that I mean, over the years, the host, the network and now the terminal servers have gotten too fast. I need to institute a delay of some sort for the communications initiated by the host, and received by the device connected to the Cisco terminal server. Ideally, I would prefer to implement a delay when certain strings are sent by the host. I've tried dispatch-timeout and dispatch-machine, but further research shows that these will only work for TCP connections. I also don't believe that I can use route-maps to send packets on a round about way through the network to implement a delay (yes, bad design, but worthy of trying) on account that the connections are via LAT, not IP. This isn't a buffering problem. Does anyone have any ideas on how to implement any sort of delay for these communications, even if it is on EVERY packet? Thanks.

2 Replies 2

drolemc
Level 6
Level 6

It would be nice to be able to implement a delay of some sort for the communications initiated by the host, and received by the device connected to the Cisco terminal server. Specifically, I would prefer to implement a delay when certain strings are sent by the host. I think you have to try dispatch-timeout and dispatch-machine but these will only work for TCP connections,

I think distpatch-timeout and distpatch-machine are only for tcp/ip. Something that we can try is the command "lat host-delay". lat host-delay: To set the delayed acknowledgment for incoming local-area transport (LAT) slave

connections, use the lat host-delay command in global configuration mode.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/11_0/access/command/reference/arlat.html

#wp2673

I had tried lat host-delay as well, but thanks anyway. I also tried filing w/the TAC, but they didn't have any ideas either. In the end, after weeks of trying, we finally got a response Tuesday out of the vendor that created the software to begin with. We had been able to pin point the exact transmission that was causing us the problem, and they were able to go into this 15 year old software and add a short delay there. Obviously, this was the preferable way to remedy the problem, but in the absence of obtaining their help, I had to try everything I could at the network level. Fortunately, we finally got their help as it doesn't appear there was a network-based solution!

Cheers,

Shane

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card