cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Load balancing betn ether drop & multilink

manik.palekar
Level 1
Level 1

i have load balanced between etherdrop & multilink in ospf ...Applied same QOS on both link but i have observed that on multilink packets are being droped in QOS & same on etherdrop is fine without any drop ..

please help me........

2 Replies 2

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Manik

You have not provided any details of how you got the load balancing to work. Am I correct in assuming that you did it by creating 2 equal cost routes (using something like static routes or RIP that are not sensitive about the bandwidth of the interfaces)? The results that you are experiencing are not unusual when you treat 2 paths as equal that have very different capacity. The forwarding engine has 2 equal paths to use and will attempt to send equal amounts of traffic on each. So frequently one of the links will be quite underutilized and one of the links will be very overutilized.

My suggestion is that you not attempt to treat both paths as equal and do not load balance over them. If you want utilization on both links I would suggest that you set up normal routing to use one of the links and set up Policy Based Routing to identify some type of traffic (maybe web traffic, maybe FTP traffic, maybe traffic from some particular source subnet) and send that traffic over the other link. This will give you utilization on both links and not overload one of the links.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Dear Rick ,

Thax for ur update ...

Both multilink & etherdrop are 8 Mbps each ..configured same ospf cost on both with per packet load balancing & redundant

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card