cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Move CMM to different 6500

jason-calbert_2
Level 3
Level 3

When moving my CMM module will I have to essentially shut it down thus stop it from running or can I just pull the blade and move it as if it is hot swappable. Any help appreciated. Thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Tom Dillon
Level 4
Level 4

I do not believe there is a shutdown command. I have always pulled the CMM out of the chassis without problems. It is a hot swappable module. Note: if you do need to reset the module, you should always do it from the Cat6K supervisor (i.e. with native IOS, the command is hw-module module reset nn, where nn is the module number)

View solution in original post

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Jason,

We were going to move to these CMM modules a while back and I remembered one of the pluses was the fact that the CMM is Hot Swappable. Have a look;

Modularity:

Lowers cost of ownership-The modular architecture helps customers achieve higher port capacity in a single Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series or Cisco 7600 Series slot. Integrating the functions of VoIP gateways, analog and digital, and conferencing and transcoding in a single module provides a space-saving solution. The Cisco CMM can be managed remotely along with other modules and line cards in the Cisco Catalyst 6500 and Cisco 7600 Series chassis.

Offers investment protection-The Cisco CMM supports field-upgradable modular components, allowing customers to easily add, replace, or change interface port adapters without upgrading or replacing the entire module.

**Hot-swappable module:

Delivers business resilience-The hot-swappable capability on the Cisco CMM allows hardware maintenance to be performed on an active Cisco Catalyst 6500 or Cisco 7600 Series with little or no service interruption. During a hot-swap, the Cisco CMM can be removed, inserted, or replaced, and only the calls on the card being removed are affected.

From this good doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_data_sheet0900aecd8066426f.html

Installing the CMM

This section describes how to install the CMM into the Catalyst 6500 series switch or the Cisco 7600 series router.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note All modules, including the supervisor engine (if you have redundant supervisor engines), support hot swapping. You can add, replace, or remove modules without interrupting the system power or causing other software or interfaces to shut down. For more information about hot-swapping modules, refer to the Catalyst 6500 Series Switch Module Installation Guide.

From this good CMM doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/prod_module_install_config_guide09186a008014f5b1.html#wp227616

Hope this helps!

Rob

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Tom Dillon
Level 4
Level 4

I do not believe there is a shutdown command. I have always pulled the CMM out of the chassis without problems. It is a hot swappable module. Note: if you do need to reset the module, you should always do it from the Cat6K supervisor (i.e. with native IOS, the command is hw-module module reset nn, where nn is the module number)

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Jason,

We were going to move to these CMM modules a while back and I remembered one of the pluses was the fact that the CMM is Hot Swappable. Have a look;

Modularity:

Lowers cost of ownership-The modular architecture helps customers achieve higher port capacity in a single Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series or Cisco 7600 Series slot. Integrating the functions of VoIP gateways, analog and digital, and conferencing and transcoding in a single module provides a space-saving solution. The Cisco CMM can be managed remotely along with other modules and line cards in the Cisco Catalyst 6500 and Cisco 7600 Series chassis.

Offers investment protection-The Cisco CMM supports field-upgradable modular components, allowing customers to easily add, replace, or change interface port adapters without upgrading or replacing the entire module.

**Hot-swappable module:

Delivers business resilience-The hot-swappable capability on the Cisco CMM allows hardware maintenance to be performed on an active Cisco Catalyst 6500 or Cisco 7600 Series with little or no service interruption. During a hot-swap, the Cisco CMM can be removed, inserted, or replaced, and only the calls on the card being removed are affected.

From this good doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_data_sheet0900aecd8066426f.html

Installing the CMM

This section describes how to install the CMM into the Catalyst 6500 series switch or the Cisco 7600 series router.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note All modules, including the supervisor engine (if you have redundant supervisor engines), support hot swapping. You can add, replace, or remove modules without interrupting the system power or causing other software or interfaces to shut down. For more information about hot-swapping modules, refer to the Catalyst 6500 Series Switch Module Installation Guide.

From this good CMM doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/prod_module_install_config_guide09186a008014f5b1.html#wp227616

Hope this helps!

Rob

Thanks Rob and Tom for the good info. I appreciate it.

Jason

You are always welcome Jason :) Good luck with your changes!

Take care,

Rob

PS: Thanks for the nice words and rating.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: