Views
Helpful
Replies

Enabling RIP Protocol

newnetman
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Since RIP is a classful protocol, to enable it for the following network 172.23.0.33, 172.23.0.65 and 172.23.0.126, (all with subnet mask of 255.255.255.224)

Would it be as follows?

Network 172.23.0.0

Network 172.23.0.0

Network 172.23.0.0

Please help as this does not make any sense to me yet.

Thanking you all in advance,

Newnetman

6 Replies 6

Newnetman,

RIP doesn't give you the option of specifying a mask and uses the natural mask. Since you have a class B network it would use the natural mask of /16 bits.

With that said all you have to do is configure;

router rip

net 172.23.0.0

This would enable RIP on all interfaces that are on the 172.23.0.0 network. You don't need to configure the 'network 172.23.0.0' 3 times. If you have other interfaces on the 172.23.x.x network that you don't want to send RIP updates out then use the command 'passive-interface (int)' under the RIP process. The default RIP version is 1 and if you want to run RIP V2 then configure the command 'version 2' under RIP process as well.

HTH

Sundar

you can run RIP V2 which is a classless protocol and hence will advertise the subnet mask along with the updates.

router rip

version 2

network 172.23.0.0

Eventhough you enable RIP v2, it will show only the classful network in the running configuration but will send the subnet mask information to its neighbors

HTH

Narayan

chenzhang_001
Level 1
Level 1

I'm a Newnetman too!

you can run RIP version 2

as:

router rip

version 2

network 172.23.0.0

no auto-summary

zhang

The config that you posted should work well. It will run RIPv2, will include any interface that it finds that belongs in 172.23.0.0 (without concern for the netmask of the interface) and will not auto summarize.

If that is what you want then you should be good to go.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

HI zhang,

Normally RIP V2 is the improved version of V1.

Version 2 supports classless and classful Routing. Subnet Information will be included in the Routing Updates.

Neverthless in the Configuration you can't see the Subnet Mask INFO - as per Narayan Comments...

DO RATE ALL HELPFUL POSTS

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R

paul.matthews
Level 5
Level 5

RIP V1 is indeed classful. Just one network statement will be needed.

What will happem then is the rip update will effecetively say " I know network 172.12.0.32 metric whatever, network 172.12.0.64 metric whatever, network 172.12.0.96 metric whatever - note no mask info included - that is what makes it classful.

Note that the addresses you mention are host addresses, not networks. I am a little confused in that the first three are the first IP address available in the subnets which is a pretty standard gateway address, but the third is the last available - again standard as a gateway, but different to the first two, so I am not sure if that is a typo and should have been 129 which would be the first in network 172.12.0.128!

I presume that using RIPv1 is either because you have devices that do not support RIPv2 or for academic interest in studying?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: