Views
Helpful
Replies

can't seem to forward ports

winstoncheng
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm having problem getting the port forwarding to work. When testing my home router (851w) at work, using VNC, Telnet, SSH, nothing gets through. Cannot connect, so it's not an authentication issue, as I don't reach the username/password stage.

Please take a look at my config and see what the mistakes might be. Also, what is the command to mask the passwords in my configuration? The <password> I've typed in were original just plain text.

I tried to set most of the stuff up with the CLI, and some were helped by SDM.

18 Replies 18

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

Friend,

You have configured IP address on the VLAN interface (SVI). To telnet or SSH your SVI should be up.

To bring up this SVI you require atleast one port in vlan 1.

Check by configuring an IP address on the etherner interface and do a telnet. Though you will able to do SSH too, you should look at configuring this way

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios122/122cgcr/fsecur_c/fothersf/scfssh.htm

HTH

Narayan

Hi Narayan,

I don't quite understand how to execute this. If I am to create a SVI interface on the router, I'm not seeing that as a choice under the commands.

Also, is there a way to go about this w/o an IP for VLAN1? I only put that address there because it was the only way to assign an IP to the router itself I could see.

Hi,

for one, you will need to move all the vlan1 config to bvi1 and configure no ip address and bridge-group 1 under vlan1. Else, you will never be able to use your wireless.

Then yes of course you need and IP for BVI1. It's your PC's default gateway address

The port forward seems correct and you should be able to connect from outside, but please remap 23 to something else if you still want to be able to telnet into the router. Finally, you don't need this:

ip nat pool nat1 192.168.1.1 192.168.1.254 netmask 255.255.255.0

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

Hmm, well, the wireless is working, but I'm still unable to VNC, telnet, or SSH into my home router from work.

If I PuTTY through telnet the black screen comes up with a "(inactive)" in the title bar.

If I SSH, I get PuTTY Fatal Error, "Network error: Connection refused".

For VNC, which is the 192.168.1.130 forward, "Failed to connect to server".

Strange, can you at least telnet into the router ?(require removing the port 23 forward).

Also pls send again the router config now.

I have to wait until I get home to send the router config again, unless I find time during lunch break.

Instead of using 23, i used 2300. I'm able

to telnet from inside the network, but not from outside.

I will also need to double-check and make sure dyndns.org is working so I know I'm not using the wrong IP address.

Apparently I don't know how to designate a different port to telnet yet, so I reverted the port forward lines back to port 23.

And sorry, I forgot to verify if the ddns is working properly or not.

The odd thing is, the 1811w at work I can telnet/SSH to with no problems, and that one doesn't even have the static tcp lines.

Hi,

remove these:

ip nat inside source static tcp 192.168.1.1 23 interface Dialer0 23

ip nat inside source static tcp 192.168.1.1 22 interface Dialer0 22

and you should be able to telnet/ssh into router. Regarding the forwards, these should work as configured, not sure why they don't.

Yep, telnet and SSH appears to be working, however, I'm still unable to get VNC going. :(

That is, you can telnet and ssh to the router, but no forward to hosts behind the router works ? Can you try something else than VNC for a test? Eg web server to an host behing the router, like port 8000 "outside" mepped to 80 "inside".

Sorry, currently working on upgrading the computer, and the only quick thing I could think of was to run an FTP server. However, the FileZilla Server kept saying it couldn't connect to the local server.

I'll see what else I can try.

OK, when trying this with the LAN at work, I'm able to get FTP to work, but not VNC. Cisco routers just don't like to pass through VNC data?

Not sure if I'm mistaken or not about previous result, but FTP is not currently working. :(

Using online ShieldUp service, all the ports I opened, are indeed open, so the problem appears to be that they aren't being directed to the internal PC's properly.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card