Views
Helpful
Replies

Network connectivity for ATM machines

gautamzone
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Friends,

A few basic questions on network connectivity for ATM machines to a bank network.

All ATM machines are connected to the main bank branch through MPLS. Now, they want a backup link through ISDN.

I am proposing a 3845 with an ISDN network module on main branch end and 1841 with ISDN BRI S/T-V3 on ATM end.

The following are my questions:

1. If there are 10 ATM MPLS links, do i need 10 ATM backup IDSN connections? Or do i need just 5 ATM ISDN connections (if i use just one BRI channel per MPLS link)?

2. On the main branch end, i need to know how practical is it to have 1 ISDN backup link for every ATM connected to it?

I believe that 2 ISDN backup links should be practically sufficient for 5 MPLS primary links. There are very less chances that all 5 MPLS links go down at the same time. Right? So even 2 ATM backups should be fine in my opinion. But if i am wrong in my understanding, please let me know?

3. If we go for 1 ISDN BRI Network module (NM-4B-U), then we can theoretically go for a max of 4 x NM-4B-U on a 3845 router. Right? Or is it possible to mix NM-4B-U and NM-8B-U together in one router?

4. Is it practical to encrypt data between the ATM and the main branch? Or it does not make sense as the ATM by itself encrypts data? If encryption makes sense, then should i also encrypt the data between ISDN links too?

5. Are there any issues using ISDN U-Based Network modules or is it better to stick with ISDN S/T- based network modules?

Thanks and Regards

Gautam

17 Replies 17

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

first of all, look like you gave decided for the router models already, but I wanted to let you know that this can be done with much smaller models too. For example, 2811 in hub.

Also looks like you have decided for BRI in the hub, but themosed solution is PRI instead because it's simplere to order and configure, less prone to faults, and easier to make growth when ther are more branches, in fact you have not to touch the router at all, the telcod does everything. The card to use would VWIC-x-MFTor VWIC2-xMFT.

You can certainly encrypt data via IPSEC VPN, but as you said, it the ATM is already encrypted, it is not necessary.

Hope this helps,please rate post if it does!

Thanks a lot for the speedy solution.

Is it possible to connect a PRI on hub with BRI at branch / ATM? I never knew that.

The reason i chose 3845 is because they already have it and they have free network modules.

Thanks a lot

Gautam

Hi,

sure PRI and BRI are both ISDN hence can connect as you like. Now if you have already the hardware is just a matter of having the circuit installed.

As a recognition to those providing answers, please rate useful posts using the scrollbox below!

Sir,

it looks like you know about ATMs, I have a question regarding ATMs that maybe you can help with:

We are in need of a switching solution on the ATM end that will allow the SPANing of two ports into one.

The two ports are the DVM equipment and the ATM.

The problem is that the Video and the Transaction data needs to be streamed into one data flow to get the transaction data on the video.

How is this normally done and can any Cisco switch that is capable of SAPN do this?

Hi Wilson,

some confusion here, Guatamzone is referring to Automatic Teller Machine, perhapos you are referring to Asynchronous Transfer Mode.

If so, yes cisco ATM switches support SPAN ports. Unfortunately cisco has ceased production and probably you will need to buy them used, as are very easy and cheap to find. The model I suggest would be the LS1010, with the enhanced supervisor module and the port adapters as needed.

If you are talking about something else, please clarify indicating what are the physical interface of your devices and to what they have to connect.

As a recognition to those providing answers, please rate useful posts using the scrollbox below!

thanks for the reply,

I am talking of the Banking industry.

The Automatic Teller Machine that has a camera and is also trasmitting transaction data to the main site.

Apparently there is some difficulty in finding a switch that can do this, I have had suggestions to use a hub for this.

Hi Wilson,

If the camera has an ethernet interface and is using IP, there should be no problem in getting the data to main site using any switch or router port.

Else please explain what is the camera interface and why the difficulty.

Thanks for the reply.

Ethernet ports on the ATM and the DVM

The goal is to have the Transaction data from the ATM on the actual Video image for legal reasons.

My understanding is that you need to SPAN both ports into one uplink to the main site and they have to sync.

Evidently there is a problem getting this done with a regular switch.

There has been a suggestion to use a hub to do this, but I do not understand why it is a problem with a switch.

Hello,

I think there is some misunderstanding in by your customer side.

Packets to/from both devices would be "muxed" in the uplink of an hub or switch. As you say, there would be no difference using an hub or switch. Perhaps your client was thinking in terms of VLANs, but of course these are not mandatory.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

Thanks for the reply.

Here is where I think the problem using a switch and maybe you can tell me if I am correct:

There is a 12 port switch at the site and all ports but one is being used.

One of the ports is a trunk to the router at the site.

The existing setup has the ATM and the DVR just sending the data along with the other ports to the router as it enters the switchports.

The data from the ATM and the DVR which needs to be MUXed together, cannot have a destination port the same as the router trunk.

Am I correct on this?

If not, how could it be done?

If you put this way, looks like you want VLANs in the switch. That would allow you to separate ports in sets, with the exception that the trunk port can communicate with all the vlans, if so configured. But for example, you configure ATM, DVR, and a third port to make communications in a VLAN, and these ports would be isolated from the others and cannot be reached at L2 level from any other device.

Sir,

it looks like you know about ATMs, I have a question regarding ATMs that maybe you can help with:

We are in need of a switching solution on the ATM end that will allow the SPANing of two ports into one.

The two ports are the DVM equipment and the ATM.

The problem is that the Video and the Transaction data needs to be streamed into one data flow to get the transaction data on the video.

How is this normally done and can any Cisco switch that is capable of SPNN do this?

Hi,

Just wanted to know if NM-1CE1T1-PRI can be used on the 3845 router for data ISDN connectivity to data BRI on remote?

Thanks and Regards

Gautam

Yes, of course. However is an older hardware that nowadays is better replaced by the VWIC and VWIC2 cards.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: