cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Simulate frame relay subinterfaces in lab

wilson_1234_2
Level 3
Level 3

I have the following setup on a router to a DR site and I would like to simulate this in a lab environent.

The connection is a DS3 and is frame relay.

Is there any way to simulate this on a regular point-to-point T1 connection with a crossover cable from WIC T1 CSU/DSU to WIC T1 CSU/DSU?

I know I can simulate frame-relay with a third router, but I was hoping to do something with just a point-to-point and two routers.

The existing config is this on one side:

interface Serial1/0

description connected to DS3

no ip address

encapsulation frame-relay IETF

ip route-cache flow

load-interval 30

dsu bandwidth 44210

framing c-bit

cablelength 50

clock source internal

serial restart-delay 0

frame-relay lmi-type ansi

frame-relay intf-type dce

!

interface Serial1/0.4 multipoint

description Bridge VLAN 4

frame-relay map bridge 4 broadcast

frame-relay interface-dlci 4

bridge-group 3

!

interface Serial1/0.100 point-to-point

ip address 1.1.2.65 255.255.255.252

frame-relay interface-dlci 100

!

interface Serial1/0.101 multipoint

description Bridged VLAN 5

frame-relay map bridge 101 broadcast

frame-relay interface-dlci 101

bridge-group 1

!

interface Serial1/0.250 multipoint

description Bridge VLAN 2

frame-relay map bridge 2 broadcast

frame-relay interface-dlci 2

bridge-group 2

6 Replies 6

l.monje
Level 1
Level 1

As long as I know you can connect 2 wics CSU/DSU back to back, you just need to make a crossover cable, you can find the pin-out at cisco.com

About the Frame-relay configuration check this link http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/125/frbacktoback.html

there are the configs to setup a frame-relay lab with two routers in the above link, and in the link below you will find the way to config the cross cable.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps233/products_tech_note09186a00800a3f09.shtml

Let us know how works the lab!!!

Richard

It certainly is possible to set up 2 routers with a back to back serial connection and to configure the link as frame relay. But since there is no device to provide the Frame Relay switching, the ability to really emulate Frame Relay is pretty limited. I am not clear from your description how closely and exactly you need to emulate the Frame Relay environment.

Your configuration has 4 subinterfaces (with multipoint and point to point). You might be able to emulate 1 of the point to point but I think you can not really emulate the multipoint. And I do not believe that 1 router back to back can possibly emulate 4 subinterfaces.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks

You may also try this software, although still under developement, with it you can emulate your above configuration.

http://www.gns3.net/

Jorge Rodriguez

As Rick said, you need to configure frame-relay switching and also specify the DCE terminal

Here is what i do for a lab but again the capabilities are limited

router1

frame-relay switching

int serial 2/0

encap frame-relay ietf

frmae-relay intf-type dce

int serial 2/0.16 point-to-point

ip address x.x.x.x y.y.y.y

frame-relay interface-dlci 16

router 2

int serial 1/0

encap frame-relay ietf

int serial 1/0.16 point-to-point

ip address x.x.x.x y.y.y.y

frame-relay interface-dlci 16

HTH

Narayan

Many thanks to everyone.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card