CCDP vs CCNP(And why would anyone do a CCNP?)

Answered Question
Aug 5th, 2007
User Badges:

Hi,

The requirements for CCDP are:

1. 640-863 DESGN(CCDA)

2. 642-901 BSCI(CCDP)

3. 642-812 BCMSN(CCDP)

4. 642-871 ARCH(CCDP)

After completing these four exams you end up with two additional certs, a CCDA, and a CCDP, and you command a higher salary premium.

My questions are:

1. Why would anyone want to do a CCNP any more?

2. Which would be better preperation for the big cahuna, a CCIE R&S and/or Security?

Thanks,

Prasenjit

Correct Answer by srue about 9 years 7 months ago

overall, the number of exams is the same. i think cisco designed each cert with very clear objectives in mind. a ccdp would be designing networks, and a ccnp would be administering them.

Keep in mind with salary that there are many factors that go into that. Also, someone doing design is more likely to be travelling, so they will get a high salary than someone who is fixed geographically (generally speaking). It's not what about a CCDP could do versus a CCNP, it's simply what's in the exams that separates them. I'm sure you will find CCNP's doing network design, just as there are probably CCDP's doing net admin stuff. Not to mention the number of people who hold both.

Having a CCDP instead of a CCNP won't automagically command a higher salary. There are other things to consider. Also, because one engineer is good at design, doesn't mean they'll be good at net admin, or vice versa.

And i'm guessing you've already seen this, but on the off chance you haven't.

http://tcpmag.com/salarysurveys/ -> US salary stats

Overall Rating: 4.5 (2 ratings)

Hi Prasenjit

All Cisco certs are needed...

1) follow what you are interested in, it makes studying more interesting and also you will enjoy the job more... it helps when the boss is a nonce and you hate your job! do you like designing then get a design certification and job to match, if your interested in voice, then ccvp etc

2) good website to try and help you determine potential salaries are like:

http://www.itjobswatch.co.uk/jobs/uk/ccie.do

3) any Cisco cert will help pay for the beers at the weekend, but experience is still key, i have just got myself a 1000 user Cisco voice and data network admin role, with 3 years of experience and no qualifications at all, the job wanted CCNP & CCVP

4) speak to agencies and get a free feel for what the market is like in your local area, what roles the agencies are having problems filling for companies

Hope this helps?

Sam

prasenjitmedhi Mon, 08/06/2007 - 10:30
User Badges:

Hey,

A helpful post! But I still have some doubts about why anyone would want to go for a CCNP, when a CCDP can do all that a CCNP could, and get a higher salary to boot. And it takes one exam less to get your CCDP(exams at the Professional level that is).

And I would think a company spending upwards of a 100k USD a year on a CCDP would send out the poor sod do some troubleshooting, and other CCNPeqsque tasks as well. Labs and server rooms get lonely, going out and getting soaked, frozen, sweaty, angry, frustrated is so much fun lol!

Correct Answer
srue Mon, 08/06/2007 - 10:42
User Badges:
  • Blue, 1500 points or more

overall, the number of exams is the same. i think cisco designed each cert with very clear objectives in mind. a ccdp would be designing networks, and a ccnp would be administering them.

Keep in mind with salary that there are many factors that go into that. Also, someone doing design is more likely to be travelling, so they will get a high salary than someone who is fixed geographically (generally speaking). It's not what about a CCDP could do versus a CCNP, it's simply what's in the exams that separates them. I'm sure you will find CCNP's doing network design, just as there are probably CCDP's doing net admin stuff. Not to mention the number of people who hold both.

Having a CCDP instead of a CCNP won't automagically command a higher salary. There are other things to consider. Also, because one engineer is good at design, doesn't mean they'll be good at net admin, or vice versa.

And i'm guessing you've already seen this, but on the off chance you haven't.

http://tcpmag.com/salarysurveys/ -> US salary stats

cyphur353 Wed, 08/08/2007 - 19:12
User Badges:

Why not get both? Once you have your CCNP, its only two more tests and you have it.

prasenjitmedhi Wed, 08/08/2007 - 21:18
User Badges:

Hehe, its always a temptation. Why dont I get a pentuple CCIE too, while Im at it :)

Cisco will prolly give me an award, under the dont try this at home category.

Actions

This Discussion