Views
Helpful
Replies

SMS config in CiscoWorks

ranginroshkg
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

How can I configure SMS alerts in Cisco Works, I'm using CW version 2.2.

Thanks

3 Replies 3

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You will need some kind of gateway application. Most people use an email gateway that can turn email messages into SMS messages. RME can use either a local application or an email gateway when it sends its syslog notifications. You can configure these under RME > Administration > Syslog Analysis > Define Automated Action. See the online help there for an example to turn syslog messages into emails.

For DFM, it's not so easy. DFM only supprts email notification, and can't call an external program. If you do have an email-to-SMS gateway, you can define DFM email notifications under DFM > Administration > Fault Notification > Mail Notifier.

HI,

I used DFM to configure to send Emails to an Email gateway. It is working fine.

As you said it can also be configured from RME, I tried the same :

RME > Administration > Syslog Analysis > Define Automated Action

But I didn't understand which facility under 'syslog message types' that I should select to configure SMS alerts.

Use the facility from the messages you wish to turn into SMS alerts. For example, if you're interested in config change messages (i.e. %SYS-5-CONFIG and %SYS-5-CONFIG_I) the facility is SYS, the severity is 5, and the mnemonic is CONFIG or CONFIG_I.