Views
Helpful
Replies

Router or Switch

phlitservices
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I need to get roughly 30 sites connected back to my main office using 1Mb Fiber connections at each site. I currently have an 1841 that I use for internet access with a single free FE interface avaliable. Do you think this will be able to take the load using sub interfaces?

Each site will only be sending around 3 Mbps of data per day across the link. Also internet will be shared from the main site to all other sites as well. (Remomte locations will only need to connect to one specific IP on the Internet)

Will the 1841 be ok or should I go with a 3750? Also, can sub interfaces be done on the 3750 switches?

Any advise will be apreciated,

Thanks - Donavan

3 Replies 3

illusion_rox
Level 1
Level 1

hi donavan, first of all u must also keep the future needs also in front of u before making this decision, i have got 2811 in my LAB and even it can get slow if we use vpn or qos applied to the traffic passing through, in 1800 u can use seperate modules though for vpn and voice but i m not sure it will still be able to handle 30 sites, in my opinion u should better go for 3750 and i m sure u can use subinterfaces but not sure how much and what u can do with them

i hope it helps u a bit

Thanks for your response,

I'm also a bit sceptical about the 1841 handling the load from the 30 site. The design I got from a consulting firm was to use sub interfaces on the 1841. I guess i'll read up on 3750.

Thanks again - Donavan

Hi All,

I'd like to know if any one has additional comments to my question posted yesterday. I have only until tomorrow to decide on whether I should go with a 3750 or add a 4 Port Switch Card to my 1841 to connect 30 sites back to my main office. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks - Donavan

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card