I work for a Container Port operator. I am working on a project to remotely monitor about 70 large cranes in the terminal.
Each crane (Quay or RTG) has a LAN on board that connects the PLCs, GPS, Local Computers etc. We also have Terminal wide 802.11b/g Wireless backbone available.
We want to connect each of the cranes to the campus network using a small router in each crane with the following requirement.
1. The device needs to have Ethernet Ports to connect to the LAN switch in the crane.
2. It needs 802.11b/g wireless interface to connect to the Campus backbone.
3. It needs to support WPA security.
4. Provision to connect an external outdoor long range wireless antenna to reduce interfarence of the large electro Mechanical equipments of the Crane.
5. Routing capibility, as we need to connect 2 completely different subnets (Crane LAN and WLAN backbone) and we want to hide the complexities of the Crane network with its PLC etc. from the larger port network.
6. Last but not the least it needs to have a configurable and central management capibility.
I was looking at Cisco871/851 and a few other products. But, all seems to be intended to connect to a wired backbone and provide access primaryily via wireless. Our requirement is reverse, connect to the backbone using wireless and provide wired access to the crane LAN.
Has anyone done similar setup ? Can you suggest a device/product ?