ASA,s with side to side VPN and EIGRP

Unanswered Question
Aug 6th, 2007

Hi folks,

i have a problem with a customer project: Today they have a airlink 34Mbit connection to a other building and wish now to secure this link.

I have read on CCO that the 8.x software now can work with EIGRP. I need this because this is a EIGRP Network. So my problem is how to setup a VPN IPsec Side to Side connection that works with EIGRP. The SIde to Side is very easy (using ASDM) but what do i need to setup EIGRP to going over this Side to Side?

Building1 Router-- ASA--AIRLINK--ASA--Router2. The other problem is that they use a backup dark-fiber link 10Mbit for redundance and on the side from router1 they send with the EIGRP command variance 2 packets over the Airlink and over the backup link and all answers going back over the airlink.

any suggestions about this ?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Klaus

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 4 (1 ratings)
Collin Clark Mon, 08/06/2007 - 11:24

You can enable EIGRP routing on the ASA just like on a router (ie router eigrp ). The variance command allows unequal cost load balancing. You might want to do something like a floating static route for failover. Be careful with running EIGRP on an ASA, you can propagate unwanted routes. I prefer to not use a routing protocol on the firewall and just use the traditional ACLs.

HTH and please rate.

ksimsimon Wed, 08/08/2007 - 01:52

Hi HTH ,

thanks for your answer.the problem is that i need the EIRGP.Is it possible to use a GRE-Tunnel on both routers and send the EIGRP traffic over the side to side tunnel? so then the traffic over the airlink-connection is secure and the routing proccess works also right ?

Actions

This Discussion