Views
Helpful
Replies

MDS 9216i Configuration Help Required

kamal.kannan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I am new to MDS 9000. I am setting up an Environment for Replication. I have following basics questions

1. The customer has bought MDS9216i and he didn?t receive any additional licenses along with the pack ..Do we need any extra license for SAN Extension?

2. I was able to introduce this switch with the existing fabric by creating the VSAN (interopmod1) and I have configured Gigabit Eth port and FCIP profile ..But the Gigabit Eth port shows the status as down. Not able to ping to the Gigabit Eth port.

3. It will be great .if some one can brief the steps for configuring the FCIP

Please Help me out

8 Replies 8

colin.mcnamara
Level 4
Level 4

The 9216i should include a 2 port fcip license for the standard gig ethernet ports.

If you can't ping an interface, you really should deal with that first. Things to check are -

1. Does the interface have an ip address assigned ?

2. Is the interface plugged into a switch?

3. Is the interface administratively disabled.

You can answer these questions by opening device manager, double clicking on the port in question, and looking at the output.

Here is the link to the IP storage configuration docs -

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/sn5000/mds9000/3_0/clicnfg/part6/index.htm

Here is FCIP specifically.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/sn5000/mds9000/3_0/clicnfg/part6/cfcip.htm

One thing I would recommend, is that if you are new to FCIP setups, read the docs above to understand base functionality, but then just use fabric manager and the FCIP wizard. It makes FCIP creation really simple.

If you found this helpful please rate it.

Colin McNamara

CCIE - Storage Networking #18233

inch
Level 3
Level 3

Hi, Colin is correct with the licensing.

You might want to check to see if the interface is administratively down or just down.

If it is administratively down then you will need to "up" the interface.

If it is not administratively down you will need to check cables etc etc

Cheers

Andrew

kamal.kannan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,

Thanks for your inputs..I have checked the cable and the port ..and it is working fine. But still the Interface status showing as down.

islbmpr# config t

Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.

islbmpr(config)# int gigabitethernet 1/1

islbmpr(config-if)# ip add 9.184.118.166 255.255.248.0

islbmpr(config-if)# no shutdown

islbmpr(config-if)# switchport auto-negotiate

islbmpr(config-if)# switchport mtu 3000

islbmpr(config-if)#

islbmpr# ping 9.184.118.166

interface is down

islbmpr#

Hi All,

I found the cause of the problem. It is due to that my Network Switch working @ 100Mbps speed. I tested with my laptop which has Gigabit NIC,It worked fine with that.

So Is there any way to Change the speed of the Gigabit port in MDS 9216i

Wow, I have never actually tried connecting up an IPS port to a non gig switch.

The only ethernet ports you can hard set the speed on is the Management port. Though you may have luck with switchport auto-negotiate and turn on auto negotiation on the switch too.

Auto Negotiation -

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/sn5000/mds9000/3_0/clicnfg/part6/ipv4.htm#wp1895714

If you found this helpful please rate it.

Colin McNamara

CCIE, Storage Networking #18233

Hi All,

Thanks for your replies.I have a firewall in both the sites.. Do I need to open any TCP/IP ports for establishing the link between two sites. I could see portnumber 3225 in the FCIP profile.

Regds

Kamal

Well, if there is a VPN between these firewalls then no. If there is no VPN, and you are going accross the internet, then yes.

The default port for FCIP is 3225, however I believe that is only for control traffic (or data.. I always get it mixed up.. but either way.. it is only for one type). Your other traffic will choose a random high number port.

You can however specify what TCP port will be used for both control and data traffic, and you can force all communications to be over 1 connection.

The documentation for this is available here -

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/sn5000/mds9000/3_0/clicnfg/part6/cfcip.htm#wp2241262

Also, not to play the security card, but it is wise to encrypt communications that are traveling across the internet.

Please rate this if it was helpful

Colin McNamara

CCIE Storage Networking #18233

Hi All,

Thanks for your Fast reply. Is there any document which says the Gigabit Ethernet can be connected only to the Gigabit port? I hope Auto Negotiate should automatically detect the port speed to which it is connected to, and start working !!

Thanks

Kamal

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: