aolabisi
Level 1
Level 1

VIP: 10.1.1.1:80

real service 1: 192.1.1.1:80

real service 2: 192.1.1.2:80

user IP: 10.2.2.1

CSS ver 8.2

when user opens a web-browser connection to http://10.1.1.1, he always gets attached to 192.1.1.1 unless he closes the browser and opens a new one only then is the session directed to 192.1.1.2.

How can I configure the content rule to force the user to 192.1.1.2 when the user merely refreshes his browser with F5.

here's the content rule:

content EPL

add service a

add service b

vip address 10.1.1.1

protocol tcp

port 80

active

dayo

5 Replies 5

Diego Vargas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If this is a persistent HTTP connection, I think the reason for this behavior is that when you refresh your browser, you are just sending a new request within the already existing connection. When that connection was created the CSS assigned it to one of the servers and therefore every request within that connection will go to the same server.

When you close your browser, probably the connection is being RST, and when you open it again a new connection is being established and that is why you see it going to the other server.

This is the way HTTP works and I do not think that you can change this behavior on the CSS.

Hope it helps!!

I manually turned off persistence with the "no persistence" cmd in the content rule. no dice.

is there a way to force a RST after each connection within the CSS?

When you configure no persistence on the content rule, you are instructing the CSS to initiate a non-persistence connection in the backend (to the server).

You can configure the global command "persistence reset remap", so the CSS will RST and remap each request, however this configuration is used when you have many content rules with same VIP and different layer 5 configuration, so you could have different server farms for different URLs, and then you would like to have the CSS checking at every request and remap if a more specific content rule is matched.

I do not think that this configuration would change your behavior with a single persistent connection from the browser to the same rule, but you might want to give it a try.

Hope it helps!!

there is no way.

If the css detects that there is no reason to change [no different url that would match a different rule or no new cookie ...] it will keep the connection with the current server.

This is to achieve better performance which is the ultimate goal of a loadbalancer.

If you have to close a connection and reopen it for each request your performance drops.

If this is still what you want, you should modify your servers - not the CSS.

Configure the servers to do HTTP 1.0 and not HTTP 1.1 and you will have a new connection for every request.

Gilles.

thanks for clarifying on this.

dayo

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: