cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

my MOTD on cisco router getting cut off. why?

myciscoid2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

I have a 2600 series router and I'm trying to type in a lengthy MOTD. However, it stops letting me type after about the 3rd sentence.

Is there a limit to the length of the MOTD? It appears so.

Is there a way I can change the allowable length of the MOTD on these routers?

Thank you!

Anne

11 Replies 11

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Anne

I am not aware of a length restriction on MOTD. And therefore I do not know of a way to increase it. What character do you define as the delimiter in configuring the MOTD? Is it possible that the character that you define as the delimiter when you start the banner is showing up in the banner text? That would produce exactly the symptoms that you describe.

Perhaps you could post a screen capture of how you are configuring the banner and how it stops you after several lines.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick

Thanks for the reply.

I used the "Z" (no quotes) delimiter. It does not show up on the MOTD.

I'm configuring it as such.> banner motd Z WARNING. You are not allowed... Z

See any issues there?

Thank you for your help.

Anne

Hi Anne,

Looks to be ok from what you have typed but as you said in your original post, it stops you at 3rd sentence correct? can you excatly type and reach the location or capture screen shot or capture the logs from hyperterminal and attach it here where it stops you?

Regards,

Ankur

gdrandles
Level 1
Level 1

Anne,

Have you tried to type your banner in notepad and then paste?

Anne

I do not see any particular issues in the additional information that you posted.

The suggestion of putting the text into notepad and then copy and paste into the config may be a helpful idea.

I wonder what would happen if you choose a different character for the delimiter (perhaps & or $) and try it again.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi,

I tried the cut'n'paste, but no go. It stops after the 3rd sentence. I also tried both of those other delimiters, but still, same result.

Perhaps it's out of memory?? Is that possible??

Thanks

Anne

Anne

If it were out of memory I would expect other things to be problematic.

My guess is that there is something about the text of the third sentence. What happens if you type the text of the third sentence as the first thing in the MOTD?

Can you give us the exact text of the third sentence?

When you are entering the MOTD and it stops you does it put you into global config, into privilege exec, or where?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

I found the problem.

The problem was that there was no at the end of my sentences. Once I hit at the end of every sentence, it put in a and accepted the entire message.

Strange! Learn something every day.

Thank you all for the help!

Anne

Anne

I am glad that you figured out what the issue is. Thank you for updating the thread to indicate the problem identification and resolution.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Anne,

To make things easier than trying to figure out if it is a character issue right now, here is a copy of my banner. I have this running on a C2600 Software (C2600-IS-M), Version 12.3(16). Hope this helps.

Damien

Sorry, misread the OP.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco