640-811 failed

Unanswered Question
Aug 6th, 2007

Not even close to a passing score at 750, I passed the 640-821 with a 887 no problem. I have to get back cruching at the books, but it seems their is alot of obsolete test questions on the exam such as ISDN stuff and questions about other technologies that are on the way out. I'm not highly motivated to learn anything that is obsolete. One of the things I like about the Microsoft Exam track is that they always kept their exams current.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
leslieisaac Mon, 08/06/2007 - 23:58

I'm taking this exam a week from today, how much do they test you on ISDN, DDR and Frame Relay?

I'm really confident apart from those topics

jwkersey Tue, 08/07/2007 - 07:38

You better know all the stuff that is in the CCNA ICND self study guide, ISDN, Frame Relay and DDR, good luck on you test. Also you only get 75 min. Don't be slow.

ChrisMad60 Thu, 08/16/2007 - 11:31

75 minutes? Really? When I took it in June I had 40 questions and 60 minutes. Has it changed since then?

Pavel Bykov Tue, 08/07/2007 - 08:23

Cisco have just updated CCNP track. They did take out obsolete stuff, but you have to remember, Many technologies although old are still used today.

TCP was standardized in 1981, and it powers the Internet with only very minor modifications.

ISDN uses BRI, and it is very close to E/T-carrier technologies. Some companies still use ISDN for backup, but E/T are still popular, for voice or otherwise.

Frame Relay is still rampant. Even in newest implementations, last mile of major ISPs is done using Frame Relay. FRTS and FRF.12 are really usefull technologies.

IS-IS routing protocol is still used as IGP of large ISPs.

What is old is IPX, Appletalk and DECnet. And they have been removed from tests.

response3 Wed, 08/08/2007 - 15:56

Just passed ICND test today w/ 983. I saw no questions on ISDN, and only 1 on frame-relay.

That said, I didnt' learn ISDN or frame-relay either, since those are obsolete technologies as the above poster mentioned. I just hedged my bets, since I've heard that Cisco does remove portions of the test materials as they become obsolete without changing the test topics.

leslieisaac Thu, 08/09/2007 - 23:23

That is potentially great news for me as I have my test this coming Tuesday and am not that up on ISDN and Frame Relay; I know the concepts of the technologies and can describe the way they work but haven't got round to configuring either of them!

I have heard that Cisco really hammer you on VLANs and all things VLAN related such as VTP etc and this makes up around 50% of the marks, can you confirm if there is a huge emphasis on this?

I also see that there is only 75x mins to complete the exam and time seems to be a real factor; how would you advise someone to handle their time in the test?

Any other advice or pointers would be greatly appreciated, right back to the revision...only 4x days to go!!!

response3 Fri, 08/10/2007 - 08:35

I can't give specifics on the exam, but you definitely need to know your vlan and vtp stuff. As for time management, you have 60 minutes to answer 40-50 questions. This gives you about 1.5 minutes per question. Some you won't need long for, some you will. There may be a sim or two also.

Here's some things a CCNA should hnow:

EIGRP: How EIGRP stores successors and feasible successors

OSPF: Single area configuration, what the RID in is used for, and when

How to troubleshoot an interface up, line protocol down scenario

What the three VTP modes do

Access lists

Basic NAT

VLAN trunking

A trick I use is to look at the choices and quickly eliminate unlikely answers. Then you can quickly choose the right one. Good luck.

Pavel Bykov Tue, 08/14/2007 - 08:30

I don't do that. Most people don't do that.

Only cheaters use braindumps, harming whole IT industry in the progress.

Do not use testking and other braindumps. If you are going to use them, don't get certified at all. There is no point.

Pavel Bykov Tue, 08/14/2007 - 08:48

To william (About ARP):

When hosts A want to send a packet to host B (doesn't matter if it's a router or not) on a broadcast multiaccess medium (e.g. Ethernet), it send a packet with it's source IP, source MAC and destination IP. Destination MAC is ALL ZEROES (not all F's as in MAC broadcast). Host B records information about host A into ARP table, and now it knows how to get to host A. Then it sends the reply back to host A with fields reversed, and changes code from REQUEST to REPLY. Host A gets the packet, enters the information in it's ARP table, and because it's a reply, it discards the packet. (it doesn't send the reply as HostB did).

ARP is described in RFC 826. That's the stnadard, but it's hard to read. Below is an example from RFC, that basically describes what I wrote in more general terms. Also, check out the Wiki for packet structure:

Hope this helps.

An Example:

Let there exist machines X and Y that are on the same 10Mbit

Ethernet cable. They have Ethernet address EA(X) and EA(Y) and

DOD Internet addresses IPA(X) and IPA(Y) . Let the Ethernet type

of Internet be ET(IP). Machine X has just been started, and

sooner or later wants to send an Internet packet to machine Y on

the same cable. X knows that it wants to send to IPA(Y) and

tells the hardware driver (here an Ethernet driver) IPA(Y). The

driver consults the Address Resolution module to convert

IPA(Y)> into a 48.bit Ethernet address, but because X was just

started, it does not have this information. It throws the

Internet packet away and instead creates an ADDRESS RESOLUTION

packet with

(ar$hrd) = ares_hrd$Ethernet

(ar$pro) = ET(IP)

(ar$hln) = length(EA(X))

(ar$pln) = length(IPA(X))

(ar$op) = ares_op$REQUEST

(ar$sha) = EA(X)

(ar$spa) = IPA(X)

(ar$tha) = don't care

(ar$tpa) = IPA(Y)

and broadcasts this packet to everybody on the cable.

Machine Y gets this packet, and determines that it understands

the hardware type (Ethernet), that it speaks the indicated

protocol (Internet) and that the packet is for it

((ar$tpa)=IPA(Y)). It enters (probably replacing any existing

entry) the information that maps to EA(X). It

then notices that it is a request, so it swaps fields, putting

EA(Y) in the new sender Ethernet address field (ar$sha), sets the

opcode to reply, and sends the packet directly (not broadcast) to

EA(X). At this point Y knows how to send to X, but X still

doesn't know how to send to Y.

Machine X gets the reply packet from Y, forms the map from

to EA(Y), notices the packet is a reply and

throws it away. The next time X's Internet module tries to send

a packet to Y on the Ethernet, the translation will succeed, and

the packet will (hopefully) arrive. If Y's Internet module then

wants to talk to X, this will also succeed since Y has remembered

the information from X's request for Address Resolution.

hi i know maybe you will be not happy with me asking you again but i still don't quit know what is the mac address will be in host b when he issue show arp command host A on router 1 ping host b in router 2 when host b issue show arp what mac address is in its arp table?

how i understand is it will be the router ethernet mac address the one is present in its arp table is that right please this is killing me to know it exactly please thank you very much

response3 Wed, 08/15/2007 - 10:13

I'd recommend starting with separating your sentences with periods. It's very difficult to read what you're asking.

This Discussion