cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 837 ADSL Router Setup Help

moncs1974
Level 1
Level 1

I have been given a couple of 837 routers from work in order to "play" with. However they are currently setup with the works configuration.

I have never dealt with Cisco before and would like some help with restoring the default factory settings.

I have connected it via RJ45 to my laptop and manually given my laptop an IP address/Default Gateway in order for it to see the 837.

However when I try to connect it just sits there on the "Getting router information" screen after I enter the username and password. This happens on both routers.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

5 Replies 5

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

initially you have to connect with serial "console" interface to you PC and begin configure things the cisco way. It can be a bit difficult at the beginning, the it gets easier as you learn the cisco way of doing things.

The interface you might be using now is called SDM and unfortunately altough it is supposed to do things easier many ntimes it does not so I suggest you just use telenet and CLI to configure the routers.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

Thanks for the swift responce. Dont have the serial cable, although Im sure I can get one from work.

Is there any steop by steop guides out there on how do configure it through Telnet/CLI??

Yes and no :)

There are many many configuration examples, that is, to show depending on what do you want to do, what are the configuration commands.

For example if you tell use what "encapsulation" you isp uses (like 1485 router / bridged, PPPoA, PPPoE) we can point you to the examples.

Then if you have VPN, port forward, etc, etc.

ok, what is the best way simply to restore the factort default settings and enable me to start from strach?

assuming you know the password to console (if any) and to "enable":

write erase

reload

then search CCO for "837 configuration example". Pick the one that seems more like your case. Copy and paste into router.

Do "no shutdown" under all interfaces. And work from there for the necessary config adjustments.

Good luck!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card