cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switching Methods

milkdroogy
Level 1
Level 1

How can i change the switch from Store-and-Forward to Cut-Through or to Fragment-Free mode?

or is it something that you cant change and have to buy a second switch?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Oren

To supplement the response from William: there were switches in the Cisco product line if you go back in history which supported cut-through or fragment free forwarding. As the product line has evolved it has consolidated on the store and forward methodology. The references to cut-through and fragment free which may be found in some training material and perhaps in some certification tests are historical anachronism.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

wochanda
Level 4
Level 4

All Cisco switches are store-and-forward. This isn't configurable.

Contrary to what the certification exams will have you believe, there isn't any noticeable performance hit for this.

Oren

To supplement the response from William: there were switches in the Cisco product line if you go back in history which supported cut-through or fragment free forwarding. As the product line has evolved it has consolidated on the store and forward methodology. The references to cut-through and fragment free which may be found in some training material and perhaps in some certification tests are historical anachronism.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thank you for you answer!

HI this IT engineer,As per requirement I could suggest u to do the CCNA course and take the certification exam

I did. passed INTRO now i'm studying for ICND

:)

Oren

Thank you for using the rating system to indicate that your question was resolved (and thanks for the rating). It makes the forum more useful when people can read questions and can know that they will read what resolved the question. I encourage you to continue your participation in the forum.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco