cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Would you like to enter the initial configuration dialog?

whiteford
Level 1
Level 1

I am configuring an 187 router, but after a reboot I always get this message:

Would you like to enter the initial configuration dialog?

I've tried a wr mem and copy running-config to startup-config but every time I get that message after a restart.

6 Replies 6

Pavel Bykov
Level 5
Level 5

What is your configuration register settings?

You can find this out using "show ver" command.

its 0x2142

hi

change the same to 0x2102 and save the config.

once u r done reset and check for the same .

(use config-register 0x2102 command to do the same)

regds

Thanks that worked, what did I do? What does that all mean?

Hi ,

Please check the below for config register values and meaning..

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps133/products_tech_note09186a008022493f.shtml

Hope it helps u.

satish

Andy

The difference between 0x2142 and 0x2102 is one bit in the 16 bit config register. This particular bit instructs the router to ignore the content of the startup config in NVRAM at bootup.

Setting the config register to 0x2142 is the essential step in doing password recovery. When doing password recovery people should reset the config register back to 0x2102 but frequently people forget to do this. And the result is what you have experienced that every time the router boots it loses its config and you have to build the config over again. The startup config is really ok and in NVRAM but the router is ignoring the startup config. When you set the config register to 0x2102 it should work fine.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: