6 Queries on the CCNA exam

Unanswered Question
Aug 8th, 2007

I have a couple of questions regarding the CCNA exam and I was wondering if any

kind soul would be kind enough to answer my queries:

1. Can the question mark (?),tab key (to display the the entire command) and short commands (eg. sh, conf t etc.) be used

in the simulations? I really don't want to memorize the exact commands and besides

as a junior network engineer, I am always using the tab key/short form commands to configure

my devices, will the exam allow this?

2. What's the passing mark? I know this is a very subjective figure as there is no fixed passing mark, but what is the passing

mark range?

3. Are the marks questions weighted equally? Meaning if there are 60 questions, will it be 1 mark for each question

4. For questions which have multiple answers, supposing there are 5 possible combinations (1-5), and the correct answer for that

question is combination 1,3,5, and I answered 1,2,3, do I get any reduced marks for having 2/3 combination correct?

5. Will NAT configuration be in the exam as well?

6. Since it's a computer-test, will the questions become naturally harder and harder if you keep answering the previous questions correctly?

I mean will it raise the difficulty standard and vice versa when you're getting the previous answers correct or wrong? Or is it just standard and

"non-biased"?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
mark.j.hodge Wed, 08/08/2007 - 04:54

Best Answers for your questions

1 - Yes the ? works on the sims, but not necessaraly for all commands. This can be used as a hint to the answer, if the "?" is not implmented on the command you are using, then it is not part of the solution.

2 - Pass mark is 849 on the old version of the exam, may change on the new one.

3 - Cisco keep this confidential, is probably not, the sims and maybe the drag and drop seem to be weighted.

4 - Again confidential, but is it though no partial marks for multimple answer questions, you are either right or wrong.

5 - NAT is listed on the new exam (640-802) but not the old (640-801)

6 - The exam is non-adaptive, i.e once the exam center has downloaded it for your session it is static and does not change depending upon answers right or wrong.

Please note, I do not work for Cisco, these answers are based on previous postings to this forum, Certification online support Q&As, the Certification website and personal experiance.

markmartin81 Wed, 08/08/2007 - 05:20

Thank you mark for your prompt reply.

What about shortcuts like sh run, wr mem, conf t, do they also work on the simulators?

Anyone else who has their own opinion/answer to my questions, feel free to reply :)

rossua994 Wed, 08/08/2007 - 05:38

These questions must be asked my most CCNA candidates. I think particularly the question of whether help ? is available is important, as otherwise we would have to memorize all commands in the course. I have also posted this question and also the question of whether shortcuts such as show int etc are accepted by the simulator. I am surprised if NAT is not on the 640-801 CCNA exam as it is covered in some detail in the CCNA ICND Exam Cert book by Wendell Odom.

I note that Cisco Cert Online Support do not seem to be accepting any new questions at the moment, due to the web form being unavailable.

mark.j.hodge Wed, 08/08/2007 - 05:55

Both shortcuts and tab completion both work in the sims.

** please rate posts if helpful **

markmartin81 Wed, 08/08/2007 - 06:45

Thank you guys for your prompt replies

Mark: you mentioned the pass mark is 849, what is this upon? What does 849 mean in %?

Also,roughly how many questions must I get correct to pass? What's the range?

I'll be writing my CCNA exam in 2 weeks time, and so far the preparation has been good.

Anything you guys think I should watch out for or be extremely careful about?

mark.j.hodge Wed, 08/08/2007 - 07:40

Cisco have a realy strange way of scoring the CCNA exam, maybe all exams.

Score is based on a scale of 300 to 1000, therefore % pass is (849 - 300) / (1000 - 300 ) * 100 = 78%

One good suggestion is to write down subnet information and anything else you think relivant before you start the test, so you have it to hand when it comes up.

Actions

This Discussion