cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bridging and Spanning tree on the 6500 platform - DLSW support

2tramsay
Level 1
Level 1

I'm currently support some legacy SNA traffic via DLSW+ on a couple of channel attached 7204 VXR routers. Works lovely, but the devices are no longer supported (7204's) I'd like to migrate this connectivity to my 6509 core switch which has connectivity to the mainframe via ethernet (OSA card). So, I move the DLSW+ stuff to the 6509 and I should be good to go, however, I'm running into trouble setting up the bridging/source route bridging on the new 6509 core. IOS on the 6509 is:

IOS (tm) s72033_rp Software (s72033_rp-ENTSERVICESK9_WAN-M), Version 12.2(18)SX7, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Here's my dilemma:

Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.

WPG6509-A(config)#int vlan 301

WPG6509-A(config-if)#bridge-group 1

Spanning Tree 1 is running AST.

Bridge group command will not be accepted.

What do I need to do in order to get bridge-group 1 conmand to work on an interface? I'm suspecting I need to change something with my spanning tree configuration, but I'm not sure what?

Thanks in advance.

Tom

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mbinzer
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

you dont configure any source-bridge ring-group

on a cat6509 when all you do is to connect a bridge-group.

Try to do it like this:

bridge 1 protocol vlan-bridge

int vlan 301

bridge-group 1

dlsw local-peer peer-id....

dlsw remote-peer....

dlsw bridge-group 1

Please configure the bridge protocol before you assign the bridge-group. That has always worked for me.

thanks...

Matthias

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

mbinzer
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

you dont configure any source-bridge ring-group

on a cat6509 when all you do is to connect a bridge-group.

Try to do it like this:

bridge 1 protocol vlan-bridge

int vlan 301

bridge-group 1

dlsw local-peer peer-id....

dlsw remote-peer....

dlsw bridge-group 1

Please configure the bridge protocol before you assign the bridge-group. That has always worked for me.

thanks...

Matthias

Thanks Matthias... that seems to have worked - I can at least see my MAC's now.. Have to come in on the weekend and try to move the connections over, but I think I'm in the clear now. Again - Thanks!

dcarlton
Level 1
Level 1

Does your vlan 301 interface have an ip address assigned to it? It should not if you are going to bridge from it.

Also have you configured the global command to activate the bridge group? "bridge 1 protocol ieee"