Views
Helpful
Replies

link problem between Fastethernet and Gigabit interface

azmath.hk
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Our network is consist of around 12 switches and one of them is base switch, rest of them are access switches.

Some switches are having gigabit interface on them which we are using as a trunk to baseswitch but base switch has all fastethernet ports.

All these Gigabit interface switches are having high ping reponse rest of them are working fine...

Any suggestions on this issue

Regards,

Khan

5 Replies 5

graemeporter
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Khan,

I'm assuming your gigabit ports (those that connect to the fast ethernet ports on the base switches) are configured to auto-negotiate speed and duplex.

Have you tried setting these interfaces manually to 100 Mbit, Full Duplex?

Can you check the error counters on these interfaces also?

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Graeme

Graeme,

I have changed gig interface settings manually to duplex full and 100Mbit on switches which are connected to baseswitch fastethernet ports, but still seeing high ping response coz of which HPOV is cutting ticket for these devices...

Any valuable suggestions.

Regards,

Azmath Khan

Any advice or suggestion?

What happen to this group....

Ping to devices hung off the switches , pinging switches themselves gives an inaacurate picture because ping response is given a low priority on a network device . Also I have seen bugs in which a switch will give response times in the hundreds of milliseconds .

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card