Views
Helpful
Replies

Wildcard mask question

milkdroogy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi i have this wildcard mask that i cannot understand:

0.0.31.254 i cant understand the 254 part, does this mean that it converts to 255.255.224.1 mask? i never seen a mask like that before.

it is taken from this ACL:

access-list 5 deny 172.26.192.0 0.0.31.254

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Actually that's a valid WC mask. That's the beauty of WC masks they are so flexible that you could almost match anything.

.254 indicates it doesn't care about the first 7 bits in the last octet but the last bit (1 bit) has to match always. With an address 172.26.192.(0) the last bit is turned off therefore any address with the last bit turned off i.e any even # 0,2,4,6 etc.. will match this WC mask.

HTH

Sundar

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Actually that's a valid WC mask. That's the beauty of WC masks they are so flexible that you could almost match anything.

.254 indicates it doesn't care about the first 7 bits in the last octet but the last bit (1 bit) has to match always. With an address 172.26.192.(0) the last bit is turned off therefore any address with the last bit turned off i.e any even # 0,2,4,6 etc.. will match this WC mask.

HTH

Sundar

Pavel Bykov
Level 5
Level 5

You have to understand WC as not reversed subnet mask, but as bit sequence. If you convert the wild card to it's bit value.

Where there is 1, no match is required.

Where there is 0, a match is required.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: