Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 2.6 Server Move

craighuff
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I need to move our current LMS 2.6 server to another server that has more hard drive space. We have downloaded the 2.6 update and plan on installing that. I have backed up the database but not for sure what else needs to be done. It did not look like the backup actually backed up the map that we created, just data. What is the best way to make sure that we get the info to a new server? Also with some HP software the other server has to be named the same and also needs the same IP. Didnt know if LMS required this or not. Any info would be great. Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

No. The restoration will overwrite what is on the new server.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you backup the data from the first server using the CiscoWorks backup, then install and patch LMS up to 2.6 on the new server, you can restore the data backup onto that new server.

You should then go through the steps listed at http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/rtrmgmt/cw2000/cw2000_d/cs303/usrguide/diagnos.htm#wp1078582 to make sure that LMS is properly configured for the new hostname. You should also verify the steps at http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/rtrmgmt/cw2000/cw2000_d/cs303/usrguide/diagnos.htm#wp1078369 for the IP change.

Does this backup include user names and passwords as well as the custom maps? I noticed when I did a backup it did not take the user directories that had the xml map.

Thanks

Yes, the backup will capture the LMS users as well as the Campus Manager maps. You can see the list of directories that will be backed up by looking at the various datafiles.txt files under NMSROOT/backup (each application has its own datafiles.txt). If this backup directory ever becomes corrupted, your backups will be incomplete if they work at all. This is why you should never write anything into NMSROOT/backup.

Thanks. Does this also get Common Services and well as RME and IPM or are those seperate backups? If seperate, then what is the best way to back those up? I did not see another backup option.

IPM in LMS 2.6 is separate from the rest (RME, etc.) One way is to run "/opt/CSCOipm/bin/ipm dbbackup". Another is to use the RBackup.sh script on the IPM CD-ROM, which I rather prefer. I don't recall which one of these two does not backup /opt/CSCOipm/etc/ipm.env, so you may want to save a copy of that as well.

The latter will be a more complete backup since it was designed for data migration from previous versions of IPM. This is really what you want when you migrate to a new server.

Thanks for all the info. 1 last question. There are 4 passwords that are entered with the setup program : Admin, Guest, System Identity and the Common Services Database Password.

Do these need to match the other system in order for the restore of the databases to work correctly or are these just for the new system independant of the data?

No. The restoration will overwrite what is on the new server.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: